Filter ???

Mog46g

Reefing newb
I just put my aqua clear 70 power filter.Should i use the carbon bag and and foam and bio-max filter that came with that my lfs suggested i use all of it ?

Another ?

Would it be advisable to turn this into a fuge?

Which way should i go or is there something else someone could reccommend to me ..

Sorry i am terrible speller...

thanks...

You have a SeaClone protein skimmer right? sorry to break it to you but SeaClones are the ripoffs of the skimmer world :( They don't work well at all. It will be okay for your tank as long as you keep it lightly stocked and keep up with regular water changes, but a better skimmer is something you'll want to look into down the road.

The ideal filtration setup (in my opinion) is 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, plus a good protein skimmer. I wouldn't use the AquaClear at all. Hang on back and canister filters just aren't made for saltwater, they are for freshwater. If you just opened it, I'd take it back to the store and get your money back. They usually just lead to water quality problems and high nitrates.

I'm no expert by any means, new to salt as well. Everyone says live rock and a sump...Im getting rid of my canisters, slowly, and building my own sump with fuge. But I do know how to search the web!!! Here's a link on reviews for that skimmer.
You Get What You Pay For... not very much - Aquarium Systems Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer - Epinions.com

I am not trying to be a dick, but I have found good and bad reviews for that skimmer...most things on the internet have horror and spectacular stories. Maybe his LFS (the LFS just wanted to make money off him) or someone he knew who has had a successful saltwater tank for a long time recommeneded it because they got good results with it. CONGRATULATIONS ON KNOWING HOW TO SEARCH THE WEB SeaBee!!!!!!

I am not trying to be a dick, but I have found good and bad reviews for that skimmer...most things on the internet have horror and spectacular stories. Maybe his LFS (the LFS just wanted to make money off him) or someone he knew who has had a successful saltwater tank for a long time recommeneded it because they got good results with it. CONGRATULATIONS ON KNOWING HOW TO SEARCH THE WEB SeaBee!!!!!!

I was only trying to help with a link, nothing personal, sry.:grumble:

Don't appoligize it just sounded like you were trying to be a jerk and Mog46g doesnt deserve that. He is just a person who loves saltwater and who is new to the hobby trying to get some info on a good forum. If you werent trying to be a dick then lets forget it. No big deal.

Back