Filtration Options over here

Sdotbro

SW Diver / Reef Lover
I've been researching serious but not too "pricey" filtration options for my 180 gallon tank without having to use the famous "under/behind-tank sump" option.
I have a HOT Magnum and a Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filter at my disposal to assist the main filter i am shopping for...

The Local pet store reccomended the "Marineland C Series External Canister Filters"
Someone also brought the Aquaripure Nitrate filter to my attention. A few perspectives would be nice before i throw this $150-200 into the pit.

Any other reccomendations? Anybody using any of these filters? Good filters for a 180 sw fish-only tank?

Thanks

I wouldnt buy a canister, they build up with waste and release nitrates if you dont clean every 2 days.
I have one small marineland HOB just for running carbon only if i have a chemical spill in the tank.

For a FOWLR I would just suggest keeping up with regular water changes and you will be fine.
No real need for a skimmer and so on.

Doesnt have to be that frequent, but with a tank that size i would be changing about 36 gallons ever two weeks.
But thats just preference, whatever suits you best.

A sump is another tank underneath, with plumbing going down and coming up, basically a place where you can put skimmer heaters so on, but also put some macro algae. Remember google is your friend! ;)

Going with a Marineland Canister til I can afford / make a refugium... The money pit is coming along nicely though.

Pictures coming soon.

Entire waste of money. Water changes will do more filtering than the canister filter. But if you want to blow some money.... feel free.

DIY Refugium it is. Thanks for your feedback guys
Got a few weeks while my tank cycles anyway. Good way to kill some time n learn a few things

Back