Filtration Question.

scu95821

Reefing newb
I was planning on getting/building a sump but have had some unexpected expenses come up. (My shimmy dampener is outta whack) $$$$

I want to get started on cycling my tank, I have a 55 Gal. tank about 60 lbs of live rock and 60 of sand but no filtration of any kind. My question is what do you think of a hang on bio wheel type filter. I have been looking at a couple but don’t know if its good enough.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

It should be ok on there for awhile...I ran a hob biowheel on my tank for a year when I first started...the rocks and sand is your primary filtration anyway. Better yet, just get you a hob protein skimmer like a octopus or aqua c, which is what I have on my 55 reef, and a few powerheads and you should be cool.

It should be ok for the short term. I dont have a sump on my system. I have a hob fuge, canister filter w/uv and a hob filter for just flow (nothing in it) I clean the canister weekly. I also have three powerheads. As long as you are just using the bio wheel for flow you should be fine. I would take out the wheel though. If you do that might as well get a cheap hob from walmart if you havent bought one already. Run it empty just for flow. You can use it for carbon as needed.

:bounce:I can vouch for that Aqua cskimmer, not bad, under 200, and very slim, 3". I also have a canister and it does need cleaning often. I also use 2 Korilla power heads blowing on the rock, tha seems to work great. If you can afford it I would also put a UV lamp in line with your canister to kill stuff. I have a sump in the works...that will replace one of my Eheim canisters, I have two and one is getting out of there, too much cleaning and not enough viewing. Not that I ever just view my tank.:bounce:

Actually, if you have no critters in there I think you can cycle just fine with the rock and some power heads, I like the Korillas. You won't need a skimmer until you add creatures that produce waste.

I don't have a skimmer yet but I'll get one before I start.

I have a question before I do. I have read that I do need one and I don't really need one and that if I have one I don't need to run it all the time.
Which is right?

If I don't need one could I get a smaller one and run it all the time.

Is my cheap showing?

I believe most run their skimmers 24/7, I know I do.
I would also recommend NOT skimping on the Skimmer as it is one if not the most important part of your filtration system.

You should run your skimmer 24/7. There are "cheaper" skimmers, but I don't believe there's such thing as a "cheap" skimmer. The brands to stay away from are SeaClones, Prizms and BakPaks. They have awful reputations, and I can tell you firsthand that two of those are pieces of crap that will waste your money.

You could aways search Craig's List or local reefing clubs for used skimmers to save money.

Back