Filtration ?

brian762

Reefing newb
So i am about to start my salt tank and had questions about filtration. I have a 55gal which i plan on using live sand, some crushed coral, and atleast 55 lbs of live rock. i have the following filters from my freshwater days: Penquin 350 biowheel, AC110 (500), and a Rena XP3 canister. which would work best for the tank? Eventually i want to do a sump, but cant right now. I do not plan on doing reefs or coral for a long while.

Thanks!!!

You can save money by buying dry sand, and 90% of your rock dry. Then seeding it with a few pieces of live rock. As the tank cycles, the bacteria from the live rock will grow in the sand and dry rock.

Also, you might want to ditch the HOB filters and just go with a few properly sized powerheads and a protien skimmer.

If you are planning on setting up a sump/fuge, you will either need to drill thetank or get an overflow box. Either way works and sumps are easy to make yourself.

I have heard of people that are using an algae scrubber having success with crushed coral. This is just what I have read, I am not suggesting it. I do like the look of crushed coral though.

I would do a sump. I used to run a Fluval rated for a 300 gallon... and I changed to a sump and noticed dramatic changes.

There's plenty of information about them in the DIY section. That's where I got all my info.

so would having a canister filter on the system hurt it?
the canister filter will not "hurt" the system, you will lol, when not cleaned every 3 or 4 days they become a biological filter with their own food supply, this will create nitrates at levels not good for a reef

the canister filter will not "hurt" the system, you will lol, when not cleaned every 3 or 4 days they become a biological filter with their own food supply, this will create nitrates at levels not good for a reef

Wouldnt a sump do the same thing?

Im not sure what your Q is? I donot use any type of floss or bio balls in my sump. The only thing I have in my sump is 2 pumps a heater and a grounding prob. Oh of course there is water.

that makes sense. but if you dont have anything in your sump, whats the point? sorry for the noob questions.

Back