final sump design assistance needed

monkiboy

Reefing newb
so i'm finalizing my custom sump design and will be getting it done this weekend. i have a very odd and not deep space (6.5" deep) so i'm doing what i can with it to work it in conjunction with an algae scrubber.

this is what i had first... (hadn't drawn in the ball valves at this point)

sump-1.jpg

the specific measurements:

sumpfinal-1.jpg

anything you would change?

instead of having a smaller separate pump, i also thought maybe this would work. splitting off a tee from the main return with a ball valve for the algae scrubber.

sump1-1.jpg

do you think a mag 9.5 would suffice to run return to my DT (up seven feet) and provide sufficient flow to my algae scrubber? with 7' of head loss, danner shows the 9.5 pumping at 660gph.

it would be nice not to have two pumps submerged producing a higher temperature in the water and save money of having to buy a new pump for the algae scrubber. i currently have the mag 9.5.

thanks for your help and opinions!

I belive if you use smaller tubing to the ATS you can do that, don't forget a union fitting in front of the ATS screen. I should have done it that way! I just bought a cheap 370 GPH off ebay and ran that seperatly to it, just for maintanance to be easier. I have a Mag 7 returning my'n about 4.5 feet up. But you can just as easy turn that ball valve off and clean it. I suggest to use 3/4" PVC on the return, and 1" to the inlet. But that also depends on your tank size ect. This is before I added water, and actually all my baffles gave free and I don't even run them. I just added my LR in there and i don't have micro bubble issues.

Attachments

• sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
Back