Finally

Ok so it probably is not the rock. you have either added something to spike your pH or your monitor is not reading correctly. at any rate you cannot add anything to the system until you verify your pH and correct any water parameters that are out of sink.. let us know what you find out on the pH reading.

i added the shrimp for extra cycling and bilogigcal break down.

1. now the shrimp is almost completely broken down and i am seeing no signs of aalge. what d i do?

2. i have some more live rock that will be here Tuesday or Wednesday, do i have to stat my cycling all over?

3.finally my skimmer (seaclone) is not foaming yet, is there anything i need to do?

i will go to the LFS in the morning and get a water test

If i understand you correctly your no2-nitrite is very high. this is a sign that your system has not fully cycled yet. DO NOT ADD ANY THING ELSE LIVING TO YOUR SYSTEM at this time. the no2 will convert to nitrate when the biological bacteria are established in sufficient numbers to handle the bio load. feed very very sparingly. you need to go to the helpful articles and read the ones on new systems and cycling at least. you also should select one hobbist to help you through as you can get some very helpful information here, although, some opinons may conflict. this is ok of course as not every one sees things the same. so with the information you get here and the articles you should be able to determine what is best for your system. It seems you are pushing it a bit to quickly as your water parameters are not satisfactory for adding live animals at this time. pH is too low, should be 8.2, salinity should be 35%, calcium should be 420 to 450. DKH should be no lower than 7 preferably 9 - 12, alkalinity seems a bit low also. you did not say what your test kits are based on, i.e mg/l or ppt, ppm etc. take a breath at this point slow down, go to the articles section and read all that apply to your current situation. evaluate your difficientcies and tweak your system/water parameters back to the middle of the road base lines. once you get there let your system run without adding animals for another 4 to 6 weeks and if all is ok then add only one animal at a time. watch and test for the cycle albeit small that will follow the addition of each animal. hope this helps. You may loose some of the animals you currently have or they may make it. hard to say. you problem though is water parameters and water quality. keep us posted on your progress. oh I forgot. you could do several large water changes with seasoned makeup water, to lower the n02, however it will only delay the cycle process, I would recommend to let it run its course at this time and work on getting your water parameters back in line.

Last edited:
my tank is empty the only thing i have added would be the 30lbs of live rock and 90 lbs of live sand. my salinity is 1.024. i have a couple of frozen shrimp in there that i am letting break down but thats it.

Last edited:
:mrgreen: FINALLY THE DAY HAS COME

i have done nothing to my tank since my last post i have just let it cycle and did test. my NO2 has dropped drastically it is almost dowwn to a safe level. my fist inhabitntd will be 5-10 Cerith Snails :helm2: . i am not doing shrimp because my LFS told me i can do dwaf lions :^: :bounce: so i will do 2 of them later on

thank you to mr moderator and everyone else that has helped me through the process. :bowdown: i will be posting pictures soon.

below is the order of my inhabitans

5 - 10 Cerith Snails
3 sand shifting stars
Corals listed below
3 bubble Anemone
6 Porcelain Anemone Crab
2 Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish

Yellow Fiji Leather Coral
Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral, Brown
Clove Polyp
Sea Pen
Brain Coral
Giant Cup Mushroom
Blue Striped Mushroom
Devil's Hand Leather Coral

if there is something wrong with my tank inhabitants please let me know i am not against changing for the better ment of my tank

Last edited:
Back