Firefish jumped

I was modifying my screen lids today because I got my new light hung. Only had lid off for maybe 15-20 minutes and when I went to put it back on I didn't see Ginger so I panicked and sure enough she was on the carpet behind tank. I hope she makes it. I scooped her up and put her back in tank. Kinda just floated upside down for a minute then went to bottom and I thought she was a goner, but then after a few minutes seemed to be up swimming normal. Swam around for about 10 minutes and then went to her cave. It's been about 3 hours since the jump, but seems to be doing okay when I peak in her cave. She had fuzz and a few cat or dog hairs stuck to her when I got her back in tank. I hope that don't screw up tank. Poor thing is probably so stressed now. One lucky fish if she survives.

Wow, that's a close call! Darn firefish. And I wouldn't worry about the cat/dog hair. I've always got several cat hairs floating in my tank; so far hasn't seemed to hurt anything.

Well atleast ya caught it!
And I have dog hairs stuck in the overflow teeth, hahah, dont know how since I have screens. They have done me no harm.

Yay, I'm glad to hear that! You were lucky you caught her in time. When I took down my 90 gallon tank a couple months ago, I found what appeared to be the remains of two firefish behind the stand. They are so dumb. :lol:

Awesome :) I rescued one of my firefish once when he decided to go carpet surfing. He ended up fine (until he jumped out yet again and became jerky)

Mine jumped while I was making the screen for the 10g; I was right next to the tank and heard her jump, but I had taken my glasses off and couldn't see where she landed... and then couldn't find my glasses. It was kind of hysterical, me down on my hands and knees desperately feeling around for either the fish or the glasses. Fortunately, once I finally found my glasses, I discovered she'd landed inside the tank. Phew! I was freaking out at the time, but laugh about it now. :lol:

Glad to hear Ginger is doing well, and hopefully she won't pull that stunt again!

I have had the same problem but with the diamond goby. Lost the lil jumpers inbetween a 1/2 gap in the glass TWICE. Would like to get another but not a fan of fish jerky.

Some fish are just more skittish than others. Firefish tend to be one of those fish. In the wild, jumping actually helps them evade preditors. They can jump and land a few feet away in any direction. However in our tanks, they land on the carpet.

Back