First Clean-Up Crew In!

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
Just added them about an hour ago and here's what it looks like.

10 Astrea snails
2 Mexican Turbo Snails
10 Nassarius snails
5 Cerith Snails
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

And here's the scoop...

Astrea snails: All looked good in bag, came out fine, moved a bit, some on the wall but now none seem to be moving now.

Mexican Turbo's: They're HUGE! Monsters! The second the hit the LR, they started cleaning, and still are! My LR didn't even ship as white as these guys are making it!

Nass Snails: These guys are fast and active! They wiggled alot and burrowed into the sand and two are just up and about

Cerith Snails: They scared me to death. They all fell out of the bag and just layed there for 20 min. They then all at the same time burrowed into the sand.

Hermits: One of them died in the bag in shipping; random claws floating in the bag. The 3 that made the trip are out of there shells, but just sitting there doing nothing... Little worried

Edit: Do these guys poop? I think I see A LOT of it.

You DID acclimate them didnt you?
Astrea snails tend to do their thing at night.Their more nocturnal.And hermits being outta their shells,aint a good sign for them.
As far as the poop goes.If it eats,it :pooh: s

You DID acclimate them didnt you?
Astrea snails tend to do their thing at night.Their more nocturnal.And hermits being outta their shells,aint a good sign for them.
As far as the poop goes.If it eats,it :pooh: s

The hermits aren't outside of they're shell, just not hiding in it. They're kinda just... Looking and staying still. Good to hear the Astrea will get a move on at night.

And yes, I did acclimate.

Most of them will "come alive" at night and will take time to adjust. I always think some of my snails are dead when I first get new ones and then they finally start moving.

Everything sounds normal. The crab may have molted or could be dead... hard to say. If you insist on having crabs, I would stick with the blue legged as they tend to be less problematic than the scarletts. I would beef up on snails though, and keep only a few hermits in there. They tend to be trouble.

Came back from work to find my CBS had eaten one of my hermits. Pulled it right out of it's shell. I know he didn't scavenge him because this guy was one of my favorites and I've been keeping an eye on him. He was especially active.

On the bright side... More Cerith snail eggs! ^_^

Back