First Fragging

Rufio808

Reefing newb
Well my first coral ever has grown a little since I got it. At first I wanted to let the zoanthids grow out onto a rock then just cut the rock when I needed, but I'm constantly working on the tank and I'd really hate to mess up the scape. So, I broke out some fragging equipment and read a lot about different ways to go about the process. I noticed that some polyps were growing off the sides of the frag plug so I figured it'd be easiest to just scalpel around them. Well the process went quite well and I can't wait to do it again!

Here are some pictures for you picture fiends!

The victim!
PhotoFeb16122046PM.jpg

The supplies. Good thing I'm a biology major!
PhotoFeb16122107PM.jpg

You can see the overhanging polyps on the right.
PhotoFeb16121950PM.jpg

Here they are after being cut and glued.
PhotoFeb16121820PM.jpg

And in the tank
PhotoFeb16121748PM.jpg

And here they are opening up nicely. I had to reglue them. Dumb hermit and his overly obnoxious sized shell.
PhotoFeb16121615PM.jpg

Good job! They look good and happy. Nice use of proper protection as well. You should also consider adding a face mask of some sort or use a face shield. Those zoanthids and palys can squirt that toxin pretty far sometimes and it can easily go right into your mouth. Just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Good job! They look good and happy. Nice use of proper protection as well. You should also consider adding a face mask of some sort or use a face shield. Those zoanthids and palys can squirt that toxin pretty far sometimes and it can easily go right into your mouth. Just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

haha the whole time I was squinting my eyes and locking my mouth shut. :Cheers:

Hey, can i borrow your thread to ask a question about fragging?
I have some sps that is getting huge so i figured I'd make a couple little frags. I made 4 and they were fine for a couple days but I came home today to find one had gone completely white. The others are fine at the moment and so is the parent colony. What gives? :12:

I have some sps that is getting huge so i figured I'd make a couple little frags. I made 4 and they were fine for a couple days but I came home today to find one had gone completely white. The others are fine at the moment and so is the parent colony. What gives? :12:

That's quite common Dennis. Sometimes they simply can't take the stress of being fragged and glued, especially with SPS. I do quite a bit of fragging and attend all of my local reef clubs frag swaps so I'm used to that sort of thing happening every now and then. Just be happy you still have 3 good frags. :bounce:

Is there a chance that you placed that particular frag too close to something like a chalice that could have stung the help out of it?

its actually really common for sps too just die from stress like that you could have had perfect evrything and just the fragging stress coulda killed it
but you still have the mother and a few new colonies to enjoy

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! They are just little 1 inch frags. Hopefully the other few make it and grow fast like the momma.

And no, i didn't think to dip it.

Zoanthids are toxic? This is something new to me.

Grats on your fragging Rufio!

Back