Coral frag discs?

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
Hiya, and thanks in advance for helping me out.

I bought three coral frags a few weeks ago, one kenya tree and two zoas. They seem to be doing alright, but I really want to remove them from those discs they were on in the LFS. The Zoas I imagine could just grow over them, but the kenya tree looks terrible on it. I assume the easiest thing is to just cut the tree near the base and place it on a piece of rock, but that seems like the most dangerous in terms of its health. Is there any safe way to remove?

If there are ideas on how to safely remove either or both zoas, that info is appreciated as well. I have a stick of adhesive putty from an LFS, but no other real supplies related to placing/removing corals.

Finally, the kenya tree seems a bit droopy at times. Would it benefit being placed higher up in the tank? It's in the middle of the water column now. Does it's placement in the tank depend on the water flow?

The zoas will grow over the discs. Also, the discs will eventually get covered in coralline algae if they stay exposed so they will blend in better. The kenya tree can be removed and possibly attached to the rock with some crazy glue, but you may have to tie it with some thread, just pass the needle straight through it. But if it was me, I'd throw it out. Those kenya trees spread like weeds. ;)

For soft corals, you can use a fine chisel to scrape the surface of the frag disk under the flesh of the coral to remove them.

The important thing is to scrape away the surface of the frag disk, and not cut the coral tissue itself.
This will minimize stress on the coral when removing from a frag disk.

Check out this guy's video.
Remember, always practice safety precautions when handling corals. "Don't be that guy without the helmet!"
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KGAH93qys"]Fragging Zoas off a Disk - YouTube[/ame]

Personally, I would not use a chisel. Use a scalpel or an exacto knife. They are much easier to control. Plus, you can cut any of that matting that kid was showing you, do not play into the dark versus light matting crap he was talking about. Just make the slice, and then use the blade of the scalpel to carefully get under the polyp(s) you want off.

Back