first time reefer

AHAHAHA
At least you cant say we didnt warn ya:lol:

You may have some kind of nudibranch in there.Try to a pic of em.

AHAHAHA
At least you cant say we didnt warn ya:lol:

You may have some kind of nudibranch in there.Try to a pic of em.
ill try, unfortunately all i have is my pic phone at the time and it has no zoom...but what i do have is a new pic with my rock....i wish i could get some clearer pics, but i gotta wait another week to get a good camera...the tank looks much better in person...the water looks so cloudy in the pic but its crystal clear...maybe i can take a video clip...i can zoom with that

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Its takin shape.Just keep adding cured rock when ever you get a chance.Might even consider adding some base rock.It'll be quiet a bit cheaper than live,and it'll become live as the tank matures.

Its takin shape.Just keep adding cured rock when ever you get a chance.Might even consider adding some base rock.It'll be quiet a bit cheaper than live,and it'll become live as the tank matures.
thanks yote! there is close to 40lbs in there now...what i'd like to do is build it up on the left 1/3 and leave the other side at the height it is..so it looks like about 15 more pounds, so that give me i think a little over a lb per gallon , if im counting water displacement properly, i hope that will give me decent coverage. i dont mind spending a little more for good live rock, it kinda helps keep the patience side sustained for the mrs...lol...she sees what i create with pools and ponds which happens alot quicker than a salt tank so her visual clock has to be appeased as i think of ways to make the tank "real pretty" without rushing and not giving the tank what it needs....time...my biggest challenge so far has been dealing with the dusty green algea that swirls as the lights come on and then sticks to the glass...once i brush it off it goes away in about an hour

i guess that makes me ancient! right around the corner from 37...lol...........i found the final pieces of rock today! absolutely perfect to complete the tank....i cant wait till this dusty type algaeis a little more controllable...every water change makes it a little better...it just comes outta nowhere!...trates and trites are 0, ph is 8.2, alkalinity is 140, calcium is 500, phosphates are 0 and salinity is perfect....will it just run its course? or am i missing something?

hears a couple pics of my tanks progress...sorry i didnt rotate the 2nd pic....i'll send out neck braces...lol

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 181
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 180
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
lookin good. keep your patience things are coming along nicely dont be tempted to rush anything now.
hell, the temptation is always there!...lol....its resisting it that's the hard part......i've done pretty good so far...all my levels are staying good. 0 trates and trites, 0 phos and ammonia...i really want to add a yellow tang, but dont know if its too soon....everything in there is doing pretty good...i dont know, maybe ill give it a shot

I like how you've got the rock laid out.It looks great.
I dont know that I'd add a yellow tang to a 60 gallon.Tangs need a lot of room to be happy,and can be fairly aggressive towards other fish at times.

I like how you've got the rock laid out.It looks great.
I dont know that I'd add a yellow tang to a 60 gallon.Tangs need a lot of room to be happy,and can be fairly aggressive towards other fish at times.
thanks yote! i really like the layout too!...i think i found some kool pieces of rock...i cant wait to get a good digi cam so i can take some nice clear pics...i didnt know that about yellow tangs...i've seen alot of tanks with less room with tangs...my wife kinda wanted the "nemo family"....how about hippo tangs? ....they are pretty docile arent they? last night i picked up a few more zoas from my boss. one has a rainbow of colors in the center of each and the other has a real pretty blue to it....is there anything i can add to encourage the coraline to grow or help it? it is growing in there, i just am curious if there are any good safe products to help it along its way

I personally wouldnt add a tang at all to a 60 gal.Especially a blue regal.Those things aint nothing but ick magnets.
To help the coraline along,you'll need test kits for calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium.
Keep calcium between 400 and 450.
Alkalinity around 10 DKH'
and magnesium between 1350 and 1400.
Thats all you need right there.

=QUOTE=yote;225922]I personally wouldnt add a tang at all to a 60 gal.Especially a blue regal.Those things aint nothing but ick magnets.
To help the coraline along,you'll need test kits for calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium.
Keep calcium between 400 and 450.
Alkalinity around 10 DKH'
and magnesium between 1350 and 1400.
Thats all you need right there.[/QUOTE]
those would be the levels i've been keeping...the calcium is closer to 480 but all is good then...my wife really wants both of them....maybe ill put them in now so they can have a quick demise before i start adding stuff i want to keep...i know it sounds foolish, but i think the mrs needs to see the results of foolish and premature investment....maybe she'll stop asking when we can add more fish....lol....i have a world of patience, hers is that of a chopping block...i do think if she sees how fast they will get sick, she'll give the tank the time to mature....

Back