fish and invert tank

charmon09

Reefing newb
im helping set up a tank at my university and am looking for some suggestions for stocking the tank. it is a 110 gallon display tank with a 50 gallon sump. about 125 lbs. of live rock in tank. not planning on adding any corals, just fish and inverts only. since the tank is going to be for behavioral observation i am looking for any suggestions of livestock that are particularly interesting to observe. particularly i would like some relationships between species like a shrimp and goby pairing.

Skunk Cleaner shrimp are fun to watch interact with fish, they hop on and clean them off, little legs scuttling all over. My flame angel gets cleaned a few times a day, loves it.

All good ideas. You could also have a school of fish to see how they interact with each other. Cardinals, anthias and dartfish come to mind.

yea was planning on doing a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. as for schooling fish any suggestions on what anthias will get along well with other tank mates? or maybe all of them will i have never had any in my reef tank. definitely going to have a couple cleaner shrimp i love watching them interact with fish.

I would skip the anthias for the schooling fish because they require a pretty intensive feeding regimen and I dont think would do well in that situation. I would stick with the chormis or bar gobies.

Another cool behavioral thing would be get a harem of flasher wrasses and watch the interaction between the male and his ladies.

Pairs of clowns always show interesting behavior, too. The female really bosses the male around and puts him in his place constantly (the way it should be! :mrgreen:)

Six Line wrasse.
I never see my pistol shrimp :( hes cool a buries himself under rock. he pokes out a little during feeding.

Back