fish compatability

siejack8484

Reefing newb
i have a 75g tank set up and for stocking i was wondering if i could put these fish together. its a list of everything i like but i know i most likely cant put it all together i just want to know which ones are compatable. also it will have corals in the tank

-flame angel and other dwarf angels
-2 firefish
-ocellaris clown
-black ocellaris clown
-niger trigger or huma huma trigger
-royal gramma basslet
-spotted manderin
-yellow watchman goby
-any kind of lionfish?
-any tangs?
-some sort of blenny

Depending on if you're going to have corals you're gonna want to skip some of those fish. The basic rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons.

Dwarf angels, alot of people have them, they're 50/50 some eat coral some don't.
Firefish= ok.
Clowns=ok.
Triggers= Tanks to small and are not reef safe. They eat inverts.
Royal gramma=ok.
Spotted Mandarin= ok. But only in an established tank with lots of copepods. That's what they eat.
Goby= ok.
Lionfish=No.
Tangs= Tanks not big enough, but they're reefsafe. You might be able to do one tang, but do your research on it first Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
Blenny=ok.

ahhh broke my heart on the lion fish and trigger. just goes to show the pet stores dont know what they are talking about. they told me i could have both of them. but any1 have any input on the flame angels eating corals?

It's 50/50 on the angels eating corals. It depends on the individual fish. Some do...some don't.

In regard to the triggers and lionfish...they're aggressive fish. They will eat your others, and they're not reefsafe. But if you're not doing a reef tank, that's not a concern....but the size of your tank is an issue.

With a 75g tank, I would personally try to stay away from large fish for a couple of different reasons.

1. They generally don't do well when housed in smaller tanks than a 120g.
2. They severely limit the amount of fish you can get, so the tank will always look sort of empty in regard to fish.

On the other hand, when you choose smaller fish with some nice coloring it gives you a much nicer and diverse environment.

thanks for the advice glad i came here to get more answers cuz if i would listen to the fish stores id be goin back and fightin. but guess ill have to look for some other smaller fish i want. any suggestions on good lookin 1s?

2. They severely limit the amount of fish you can get, so the tank will always look sort of empty in regard to fish.

On the other hand, when you choose smaller fish with some nice coloring it gives you a much nicer and diverse environment.
This is where me and you disagree :mrgreen:
i prefer a nice big open look with 3 or 4 large fish,with a few little ones sprinkled in ,and that one beautiful centerpiece angelfish:D....
i agree with the rest...
jack a 75 is a good tank to start with ,and stocking can be easy or hard ,depending on what you like....the firefish and clown will work,a lot of types of wrasses,and maybe a royal gramma

i really like some wrasse but the 1s on live aquaria that really catch my eye say expert care only or say 125g tank requirement so idk yet. im normally hard headed and do what i want but id rather have a nice tank with corals and the fish i want instead of the fish i want n no corals

ahhh broke my heart on the lion fish and trigger. just goes to show the pet stores dont know what they are talking about. they told me i could have both of them. but any1 have any input on the flame angels eating corals?

I was at a pet store and they told me I could put this 4 inch puffer fish with my nearly 1'6" eel. The puffer died from the stress in less the 24 hours... I did some research later and found that puffers tend to be extremely nervous fish.

i really like some wrasse but the 1s on live aquaria that really catch my eye say expert care only or say 125g tank requirement so idk yet. im normally hard headed and do what i want but id rather have a nice tank with corals and the fish i want instead of the fish i want n no corals

Which ones are you interested in? I think with most wrasses marked "expert only" it is because they can be difficult to get eating. If you know that the fish you are buying is eating fine, then they are not any harder to keep than other more common wrasses, IMO.

Which ones are you interested in? I think with most wrasses marked "expert only" it is because they can be difficult to get eating. If you know that the fish you are buying is eating fine, then they are not any harder to keep than other more common wrasses, IMO.

i like the leopard wrasse are they hard to keep??

They can be difficult to get eating but, if you can find one at your LFS and watch it eat you won't have any problems.

I had a leopard wrasse for several years. A couple other people on this site have had good luck with them. They can be difficult because they often come with parasites and may not eat. If you quarantine them and treat them with antiparasitics before you add them to the tank, that greatly increases your chance of success keeping them. I had my LFS treat the fish before I brought it home, to save me the hassle.

Back