Fish delimmas

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok, so yesterday, I lost the peppermint Shrimp (which I attributed to a high nitrate of 20ppm). Everyone was eating fine.

I did a water change (around 10g), and the nitrates are a bit lower...around 10ppm now. I have to get more salt to do more water changes. In the meantime, my banggai did not eat at all this feeding. Normally he's the first to eat. His behavior, other than that, is normal...swimming normally, fins are up, but he looks sulky. The clownfish was his normal active self during feeding, as was 1 of the firefish...

Can a Banggai handle this high level of nitrate? He was used to 0 nitrates because when he was in the 45, the fuge kept it at 0, and now, it will be a while before the fuge eats up all the nitrates.

The 2nd firefish that I just moved from the 45 to the 125g is doing horribly...I don't think he's eaten since being moved there 2 days ago, and he's been hiding out. Today, I thought he was dead because he was at the bottom, by the overflow....then, I saw him breathing slowly. Plus his tail fin has been nipped away, either by cuc, the pistol shrimp, or maybe the other fish. He was trying to catch food that floated near him though. Finally, he slowly swam/wiggled his way back under the rock.

So.....should I take him out and put him out of his misery if I can catch him? Or just let him pass away on his own, if that's what happens, and let the cuc do their job? I would qt him, but he's been through so many moves already (moved from the 10g to the 45 last month, then, from the 45 to the 125), I doubt he'll survive another one. Plus qt'ing him would mean using the water from the 125 so I can keep the parameters the same at least, and that water has nitrates.

Levels are:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 10-15ppm, pending more water changes

more then likely its just irrated from the water not being as good. a lot of fish can handle water with nitrates it just might irratate them.

Looks like we're going to get snow, too, so a trip to the lfs tomorrow for more salt is out of the question. I only have enough salt to make maybe 5 gallons. I'd rather save it for any qt emergency that might come up.

Yeah, Nemo is right... I highly doubt your fishs' conditions have anything to do with nitrates. The nitrates in my 240 got to 150+ before, and no fish showed any ill effects.

Good to know, guys, thanks. I guess he was just being pissy.

So what do you think I should do about the sick firefish? Put him out of his misery? Or just let nature take its course and let the cuc clean up the mess if he passes away? I might try to spot feed him tomorrow if he is still alive.

If I am 100% certain they're not going to make it....like I had a blenny once with a bad burn of some type that was struggling for breath upsidedown....I put them out of their misery. Actually, it's to put me out of my misery, because I can't stand to watch it. UGH. Good luck.

Back