Fish Diet, Feeding Practices, and Nutrition

Here is a recipe for home-made fish food... I got it out of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner. I haven't actually tried it, so let me know what you guys think.

"4 oz. peeled shrimp (any size; fresh, frozen, or canned)
2 oz. any kind of mollusk (clams, mussels, oysters
2 oz. fresh or frozen seaweed algae (or, if necessary, frozen or canned spinach)
1 pkt. gelatin (food-store bought or pet-fish commercial), dissolved in 2 oz. warm tap water. [sic] I think I would just use RO/DI water...
1 oz. liquid multivitamin preparation (or specialty aquarium nutritional liquid)

Thaw frozen ingredients. Remove shells. Chop the shrimp into 1/2 inch pieces and combine all ingredients in a blender. Pulse until solids have been chopped to the size appropriate for your fishes--very course for bigger eaters, fine for small species or filter-feeding invertebrates.

The finished melange can now be frozen, either in sheets on waxed paper or as one lump formed into a ball. (The latter is then scrubbed across a cheese grater each time a portion of food is needed.)" (Fenner, 159)

As a history major, including quotes without citations makes me nervous... Im used to footnoting EVERYTHING!

Its actually been more like 2 months since I've put any kind of food in my tank.

Yote,

What is your set up exactly? It's a 125 like in your sig right?
It literally boggles my mind that you have actually developed that little eco-system that we all strive to achieve. very jealous :mrgreen:. Do you have a monstrous fuge to keep the pod population high? how many fish do you have total?

Yote,

What is your set up exactly? It's a 125 like in your sig right?
It literally boggles my mind that you have actually developed that little eco-system that we all strive to achieve. very jealous :mrgreen:. Do you have a monstrous fuge to keep the pod population high? how many fish do you have total?

Just a 125 with a sump and skimmer.I dont run a fuge at all.I just picked my fish by what they can do for the tank,not just on looks or wants.
I've got an Atlantic Blue Tang,A Tomini Tang,Starry Blenny,2 small green Chromis,a Mandrine,and a Swallow tail angel. The Swallow tail replaced my Bartletts anthias that jumped out and the purple queen anthias that I fished out and took back to the store.
Theres also 20+ peppermint shrimp in there that are always spawning.Their babies also makes a great food source.

everything i feed is frozen and vitamin enriched,brine,baby brine,mysis and phytoplanton i just mix it with a little tank water and let it warm up turn my flow off and bast over my corals and my fish pick up what they want,and the flow is off for only 10min.does anything im doing sound wrong? the flow is cut so my banded pipe fish eats cause he eats really really slow

everything i feed is frozen and vitamin enriched,brine,baby brine,mysis and phytoplanton i just mix it with a little tank water and let it warm up turn my flow off and bast over my corals and my fish pick up what they want,and the flow is off for only 10min.does anything im doing sound wrong? the flow is cut so my banded pipe fish eats cause he eats really really slow

Nope.Nothing wrong with feeding that way.If its working,why fix whats not broken?

You bring up a good thread topic D2. I think about this all the time, mainly because of my trigger. I don't have any issues with my Tangs. They eat veggie sheets, mysis, rods food, and I just mix it up as I see fit..

However, my trigger won't eat anything but mysis..I've tried about $80 worth of different foods but he just doesn't like them. He'll take a bite of krill and spit it out immediately. So I've got all of this variety of foods in my freezer going to waste...One day I'll mix it all together and blend it, maybe that'll help.

But I do worry about my trigger. that what he's eating on a daily basis just isn't giving him all of the nutrients he needs, but don't really know what else to do...like you said, he looks healthy, not losing any weight, but is he really? is he possibly losing nutrition that we don't have the ability to notice until it's too late.

I have been thinking about this the last few days, so glad for this thread and all the info in it. I like the idea of buying the stuff at the store and using it as I don't have a LFS any where close.

Yote, I have a 125 and I would love to get to the point your at, that is amazing to me that its self sustaining.

That's the point I was at with my 240 -- I would hardly ever feed it. I feed very heavily now because my tank is mainly LPS, and LPS (unlike softies and SPS) grow so much bigger and faster if they are fed.

Back