fish question

Ridrom

Reefing newb
I'm looking to keeping dwarf angels in my tank. My favorite are the coral beauty, flame, and potter's angels. Would this be too many in my tank? I plan on getting them all while they are still young and will put them in at the same time. I'm also planning on running a 29 gallon sump/fuge with a protein skimmer rated for 220 gallons and a canister filter if I need to. Would this be too much bioload for my system?

Well I figured if I got them young and put them in at the same time they would fight but establish their own territories rather than adding them at different times.

np, in a 55g there isn't more than 1 territory. You will see people with multiple angels in a tank, but 99% of the time it's just luck.

Get the coral beauty. I've seen way too many potter's angels tear up reefs, and only look into a flame if you've seen it at the store for a few weeks, it isn't being coppered, and you have a good relationship with the LFS.

they are notorious for stress related deaths due to shipping and/or collection, and do not handle copper treatments well at all. Many tend to suddenly die three weeks into captivity. Just like wild caught bangghais (can never spell that)

Thank you ndepratt what are some suggestions for other fish? I'm looking to have colorful active fish, something that wont hide all day.

Last edited:
I like the potters angel myself but they suffer the same fate as the flames usually. I tried to keep one but he never ate and ended up dying after about two weeks. If you do get one buy a small sponge to get them eating or put a half clam inthere. Its worked everytime for me.

Yes the potter's angel is my favorite it reminds me of a coral beauty/flame angel hybrid. I do believe I have a few small sponges in m tank(I may be wrong) one came on my live rock and is a lime green color and a couple small pieces on the base rock of a coral i bought recently. Are they bad shippers?

Back