Fish suggestions..

mbrew

Reefing newb
So I finally got my mean damsel out of my reef tank, and thru him to the lions! Literally. So I'm sitting here looking at my tank and talking to the woman about what we should get to take his place, I'm not sure how many fish I should have in a 90g reef because there is the great debate on 1fish per 10g or is 1 fish per 4g... Depends on who you ask, in my opinion. My current live stock includes: kole tang,scopus tang, 2 clowns, 2 shrimp,sand sifting star. Went my Lfs today, and seen a pouder blue tang, it was beautiful, but idk in a 90g with the fish I have in there now.

I would not do a power blue, they are very hard to keep and its going to be even harder in a tank your size with other very territorial tangs.

But I prefer the 1 fish for every 10 gals, although you can overstock a tank, it just needs to be done very slowly and with great planning.

What about some sort of wrasse? there are some super cool ones like the mystery wrasse.

Also, on a side note, you should return that sand sifting star before it starves to death in your tank. They require huge tanks, with huge open sand beds that are well established. Otherwise they just strip your sand of all its beneficial microorganisms and then starve to death.

Have you looked at any wrasses? There are some very colorful and active wrasses that can bring a lot of movement to your tank. My favorites are the leopard wrasses, pink margin fairy wrasse and rhomboid fairy wrasse. But, there are just so many to choose from.

Yea my Lfs has a couple of wrasses, a 6 line and another one as well forget which one. I have a red and white scooter goby too I forgot to mention, he's pretty cool, to many choices. Thanks for all the input.....

Another question, I've seen some threads before about cheato in the overflow, couldn't find them now, so would you guys recommend putting some chaeto in there the only negative I can think of is if it gets caught up in the my plumbing. But idk..? Thanks again!

I wouldnt put cheato in your overflow, i think it will both clog up your plumbing and will slow down the water flow down to the sump

I'm with BL1 here, take a look at some of the wrasses (make sure to look at the reef safe ones) there are some real dazzlers in that family

the wrasses are so colorful but i understand that they are very aggressive . I would like advise on reef friendly fish that will swim together and be somewhat cool toward each other. my tank has cycled and i have only a minnow that i netted in the inlet ( he loved me when i fed him brine shrimp)

Yes there are some very aggressive wrasses that can only be kept in aggressive tanks but, there are just as many peaceful wrasses that can be kept in peaceful community tanks. I've had my 3 wrasses in with my other fish for a while now with no aggression issues. You just need to do your research on the ones you want.

Here's a small list of peaceful wrasses that can go in community tanks Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species

I would not do a power blue, they are very hard to keep and its going to be even harder in a tank your size with other very territorial tangs.

But I prefer the 1 fish for every 10 gals, although you can overstock a tank, it just needs to be done very slowly and with great planning.

What about some sort of wrasse? there are some super cool ones like the mystery wrasse.

Also, on a side note, you should return that sand sifting star before it starves to death in your tank. They require huge tanks, with huge open sand beds that are well established. Otherwise they just strip your sand of all its beneficial microorganisms and then starve to death.

Good call went to the Lfs today to fill out an application since they are hiring, since I got terminated yesterday. : / but hey it's all good it was Just a pizza place... That I worked at 6 days a week for over 2 years, Managing but hey it's slow times for restaurants so I was the last straw before they close the doors, but we were on 5 different national tv networks. So another chapter in my life begins, so I'll be cleaning my tanks and tinkering with some stuff and collect unemployment for a month and take time for myself family and friend which I have had not much time with recently.

Enough of that and back to the powder blue, I went in there today to fill the app out and the powder blue was belly up ... :-/ glad I spent my 75 on the elegance coral instead of the fish lol good call lil fish!

Back