Fishman?

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
Has anyone heard of "the fishman" on ebay, there are some lights pretty cheap i was thinking might be good starter lights. Odyssey is the light manufacturer and it is a 48" fixture with a ho ballast and four T5 lights. Two 12000k and two actinic. What do you think?

Theres a couple of members that had good luck with Odyssea lights.But I dont think that a 4 bulb T-5 will be enough for a 55 gallon tank.You really need at least a 6 bulb T-5 light to get cover the entire depth of the tank.

This is just my opinion,But I think that the 4 bulbs will just be for about 1/2 the tank depth,maybe a little more,but not much more.
At one time,I had an 8 bulb T-5 fixture over my 55 :D But I didnt have a canopy over the tank either.

I respectfully disagree with Yote on this one. I ran a 4-bulb T5 fixture over my old 55 gallon tank for years and was able to keep all the animals I tried, including SPS, anemones and clams.

Right now I am kind of running an "experiment" by using those exact same lights over my 90 gallon tank, and so far so good (with only LPS and softies though).

Odyssea lights are from CHINA.
I heard may stories of ballast fires over tanks with them a few years ago.

My buddy bought one on EBAY and the fixture was "cheap" but OK.
The bulbs were junk....had to replace immediately as they were off-color and barely powerful enough to put out any light volume....
Fixture is still working though....6 months later.

Back