Fitting a large sump in my stand

recliner

Reefing newb
I am wanting to switch my refugium under my 150 gal tank. My tank is built into a wall and backs up to a closet. My stand has 2x4 studs every 16." When I set up my current refugium I slid it in one of the 16" openings in the middle and it is perpendicular to my main tank and sticks out the back into the closet.
I guess I could do that again, but I would really like it to sit directly under the DT and not have to have it be perpendicular and stick way out the back. Is it a disaster waiting to happen to think about removing a brace while the tank is full?
I know it's about 1200 pounds but I just saw a stand for a 4' 120 gal tank that only had posts in the corners. Mine has them in the corners and 2 more in the front span and 2 in the rear span. Plus all the wood in my frame is bigger then the 120s was.

What is the tank sitting on? What are the 2 x 4's attached to at the top? It all depends on the top frame and if that piece can spread the weight evenly to the sides. Can you post a picture of it?

Generally, the load is on the four corners. At the very least you should be able to put in a temporary brace to one side or the other several inches from the one you want to take out to allow you more room to slide the sump in? ****Disclaimer---I would still be a nervous wreck****

There is a 2x4 laid flat for the top and there are vertical 2x4s in all four corners then 2 more spaced in that 4' span. The vertical 2x4s are screwed into the top and bottom 2x4.
In the picture all the 2x4s are painted black.
securedownload

Notice how little room I have above the refugium? If I could get the next refugium to fit under the DT like it should I would have 5" more room. I had to build a elevated platform for this one to sit on since it had to go over the bottom of the frame of the stand.
securedownload

Hmmm. That might work and minimize the risk/stress. I'll have to do some measuring to see if it could fit with a diagonal brace in place.
I'm also worried about vibrations from when I'm cutting the original braces out. Opinions on that having a catastrophic outcome too?

Sounds like they have you covered. I would either add additional 2x4's to the size of the opening you need, or add the 2x4's diagonnally for added support. As far as the vibrations go, it shouldnt be an issue, but I would use a sharp hand saw to be on the safe side.

***disclaimer- Myself, nor any Living reefs members will be held responsable for any events that may occur becasue of advice we have given. Proceed at your own risk.***

Can I see a picture of stand, after building mine I realized how overboard I went. I used 2x6's on all 4 corners and no supports in centers, 125G DT. Are your lengthwise 2x4's sitting on top of the leg 2x4's or are they screwed into the side, meaning is the weight of the tank pushing down on the length 2x4's pushing onto the leg 2x4's or are screws holding the weight?

Attachments

• sump support.jpg
    sump support.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 452
The top (lengthwise) 2x4s sit on top of the vertical supports as well as the corner posts. The down side is that the top 2x4s are laying on their sides and not upright. I know they could support a lot more load if they were.
Currently my plan is to run a diagonal 2x4 brace in both directions from the vertical post I'm going to remove. I hope the new sump will fit with both diagonal braces in place. After it's in I'll put the vertical post back in and remove my braces.

Or I may get a jack and use it temporarily in place of 1 of the diagonal braces.

Sounds like you got this covered. can you leave the vertical 2x4's in the front, remove the ones in the back, slide it in from the back then replace the 2x4's? I'm willing to bet your over worrying. Good luck, let us know.

Yeah, I'm leaving the vertical supports on the front and sides. On the back there are the 2 corner posts then 2 more vertical 2x4s. I'm only removing 1. I just bought some heavy duty support brackets from lowes that run diagonal. I'm going to put those in before removing the 1 2x4.
I'm almost 100% sure I'm way over doing it and over worrying, but I'm still going to be a nervous wreck when I'm cutting.

It's done! It was a huge success but like everything with my tank it took way way way longer then I would have guessed.
I'm excited to see the difference in going from a 125 gal coralife HOB skimmer to a 300 gallon trigger bursa in sump skimmer

Back