Fix it up or to much work?

Nevek

Reefing newb
This is the tank I got from one of my drivers, he gave it too me for free I guess due to moving and space and such, anyway, he said its 8 or 9 years old, and the thing has seen better days

I plan on siliconing it or scraping off what is loose and going over all the edges with black aquarium silicon,

aquariumbiuld003.jpg

You can see there are some loose spots and bubbles forming, I've put water in and drained it, it didn't leak but I'd rather be save then sorry

aquariumbiuld002.jpg

The stand needs to be sanded down and painted, it doesn't have a cross bar for the bottom, I'll be putting 1/4 inch ply under the aquarium as well as 1/2 inch foam board

aquariumbiuld004.jpg

And I did some cleaning on the lights already, wiped them down, cleaned off the calcium deposits and what not. The lid I am still trying to figure out, I think I am going to go out and buy some plexi and make my own and just scrap these glass ones, there pretty filthy.

aquariumbiuld005.jpg

its going to be a bit of a process, I need to pick up things slowly

You can make something quite nice outta that. The canister filter won't do you much good and you'll need some new lighting, but the tank is good!

I understand putting the ply wood down but why the foam?

Well worth cleaning it up and using it.

What are you planing on putting in there? Fish only or a reef? If a reef, you will need better lighting

Every tank I've put some sort of foam board down underneath, it self levels the tank, I have a little bit of a problem but shouldn't be too bad, I am keeping it in my basement, which is finished but in the center of the room is the drain so the floor kinda slopes slightly, I've heard of using the large metal washers to help with this,

bjohanson I'm not quite sure what I'm going to put in it yet, I don't beleive I have the resources to do a full on reef so for now probably just some LR and fish, maybe start with some shrooms,

dcantucson the only reason the canister is there is because I was digging through all my supplies, I will use it if only for some added water flow, the hardest part of this whole thing is getting the wife to let me buy a bigger filter she doesn't understand why I need to shell out 200-300 for one

I would make some nice wood covers up for that stand, drill holes in the metal and attach the wood, I bet if you use some nice wood it could look real nice. I would also use some wood on the floor to level it in the basement. Fill it up a little and see where if the level changes, then fill some more, etc. What are the dimensions? A better light is a must for any corals, but that one will get you started.

120cm x 47cm x 45.5cm

roughly 70gal,

when buddy gave it too me he said 90g but oh well can't beat the price $0

the only compramise I had to make was to get rid of the 3 other mty tanks I have, 2 10 gal and a 2 year old 32 gal with stand

getting rid of them really cheap actually like maybe 100 for the 32,

I was thinking of using a 10 for a sump but I don't know it all seems pretty complicated

What do you guys suggest for the silicon? just scrape off the loose stuff and then go over with new?

look for ge type 1 it cannot have any kind of anti-mold or anti microbial crap in it at all you can get aquarium silicone or just look for ge type 1

Can't pass up a deal like that. The more you save on the outside , the more you can spend on the inside! Look at as a labor of love.

Back