Flame Scallop

Well, flame scallops are supposed to be almost impossible to keep. Some reasons why:

1: They don't get enough to eat (the scallops cannot recognize bottled phytoplankton- those are simply too large) basically they eat things similar to carnation corals. IF you can provide appropriate foods (need a very large established tanks), then provide a constant source of food via drip system.

2: They often are moved by aquarists too often to a more "visible location". The scallops are very reclusive.

3: Harassment by fishes/invertebrates.

I forget who it is, but someone here's been caring for one for a while now, maybe brittney. Maybe theyll chime in to help.

Yup Brian that was me. Don't do it! Don't get one! If you already did be prepared to feed it a lot. Everyday. And spot feed it. I've had mine for only a few months..maybe four or five months and he isn't doing so well and I feed it a lot. But i also had to stop feeding as much bc of the size of my tank. 29g can get polluted real quick. These guys are so cool looking its impossible to not bring it home lol but I think they are just better suited in the ocean. They are just too finicky for me to care for. Sorry for the negative response but I didnt want to sugar coat my results. I guess the best advice I could give you is try to find very small sized filter feeder food. I think they go by microns? Something like that and spot feed it everyday rather than just putting it in the tank to maybe get to them. Good luck! I think they only live for a few years total also so when you get it it might already by a year or two old. The bigger it is. The older it is.

an indicator of health for these guys is how red their mantle is, a nice dark red means they are healthy, and light red/orange indicates they arent doing so well

Well, if you can grow sponges and carnation corals you can keep flame scallops (they only eat foods that are small enough). Other filter feeders like feather duster worms eat bigger particles. Plus, you won't see your flame scallop often.

Its amazing how they arrange themselves just right in the rock. I could not have placed him better than he placed himself.

I allow a lot of smaller particles in my water and I baste the rock almost daily and ti stirs up a lot of crud.

Also, did you know the Flame Scallop is not actually a scallop?

Back