Flourescent vs. T-5

Why? I dont know. I just know t-5 put out good light and last alot longer than pc's. Are you trying to figure out which to buy?

To find out which one is stronger,you'd have to invest in a lux meter.

I can tell you this.You'll know the difference if you straight at the bulbs while their burning.T-5s will blind you where PCs really arent that bad.

Thats a tough question.

From what I read T5 has twice the PAR/Lumens per watt of a PC bulb.Against a NO florescent my only guess 4-5 times the amount per watt.

PAR=photosynthetically active radiation(wavelength of light that plant/corals can use for photosynthesis)

What can I say,I read up on it a lot recently.

Last edited:
Thats a tough question.

From what I read T5 has twice the PAR/Lumens per watt of a PC bulb.Against a NO florescent my only guess 4-5 times the amount per watt.

PAR=photosynthetically active radiation(wavelength of light that plant/corals can use for photosynthesis)

What can I say,I read up on it a lot recently.

Thanks
so I'll hopefully be getting 4 times what I have now
Right now I have my own thing rigged up with just flourescent bulbes one blue one white that equal 39 watts i believe and I ordered my T-5 yesterday

I need to be clear that what I stated applies to T5-HO(high output) bulbs
18'' bulb(20w)
24'' bulb(24w)
36'' bulb(39w)
48'' bulb(54w)

I believe T5-NO is similar to PC's in output.
If your bulbs match the above you should have a lot more light.

okay see now you all have me confused and confundiacted

i am in the process of building a new light

2 - 250 watt HQI MH Bulds

i was going to get 4 - 110 watt VHO Super Actinic bulbs but are you telling me i should get 4 54watt super actinic T-5 bulbs instead?

That would be my choice Sagent.
T-5s are so far ahead of PCs and VHOs that you get a lot more par/lumens per watt,from what I've read.

You'll have to change out the ballasts.I dont think VHO ballasts will run T-5s.
I know IceCap makes T-5 ballasts.They make one to overdrive the bulbs,It pushed them from like 54 watts to 80 or so.But from what I understand,that cuts the bulb life in half.

The ballast might work with T5 but I'm not certain.I would check with the manufacturer.It sure would save you a lot of cash on new ballasts.I've seen ballast that can run all three florescents.

If you're going retro than Icecap T5 retro would be my number one choice.

Back