Flow

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
As you guys know, I upgraded my tank from 90 to 180g. Currently I'm still using the same powerheads. I'm going to remove 1 to use for my mixing bucket. In order to keep flow good I thin I need to add another.

Here's my equipment:

(2) Koralia 3's
(1) Koralia Magnum 5
(1) Seio powerhead (going into mixing bucket.

My old set up:

In my 90g tank, I had all of the powerheads on the left side wall, pushint the length of the tank toward the overflow.

Problem: Since the new tank is 2' longer I don't get the same turbulence all the way across the tank. About 3/4 of the way the flow slows down .

I moved the 3 powerheads this morning trying to adjust flow..Here's what I have now..

Magnum 5 top middle of the tank pointing downward, the (2) koralia 3's are on the left and right back of the tank pointing toward the middle of the tank...

Questions:

1. Should I get rid of the small koralias and get sometihng like a Koralia 8 that does about 3000 gph.

2. Should I just buy another Koralia and add a 4th to the 3 powerheads?

Personally i think its better to have more smaller heads,for all different flow directions.I have 6 different flows in my 125. 2 in each corner ,then 4 all the way at the bottom pointing up and in all different directions.

I have 4 K-4's and 1 K-3 in my 6' 125. Just keep in mind if you get real strong powerheads (K-5 thru K-8), you will have to keep any corals (if you plan on corals) real far away from them. No coral can handle being close to any very high flow powerhead.

In my 125,I've got 4 of the K4s,4 of the K3s,and 3 of the K2s along with a Mag 12 return pump.Amd Like Ohno,Their pointed in all different directions.
You want to aim for chaotic and random flow patterns.

How do you have yours set up Ccapt...Do you have a pic?
This is the most recent pic after I had to do some major rearranging.
Lessons learned: do not put corals too close to each other (they grow) and make sure the epoxy is firmly attached or when the coral gets too big it will come off.
fts_5-10.jpg

In my 125,I've got 4 of the K4s,4 of the K3s,and 3 of the K2s.
Wow. Where did you put them all? You have 6 more than I do. :shock: The only place I would have room is the front glass.

Back