Flowerpot coral.... yes, I'm an idiot

Ain't that the truth. It's 3:30 am here, and I just got home... Of course, I have to check all my Living Reef threads before I go to bed and wake up in the morning to go to work!

You guys are too funny! A sense of humor is good to have with this hobby!:grin:

Anyway, I'll just give an update on my doomed flowerpot:

On Sunday, I did another 'treatment' of siphoning off the brown stuff, blasting the infectected spots with tank water, blotting the same infected spots with iodine, and then blasting the same spots off again with clean tank water. I came up with this treatment procedure after reading through the goniopora.org site. (I read on the goniopora.org site that brown jelly is a huge problem with this coral, and the belief is that it actually infects the coral down to the roots of the skelatal structure, making it a huge pain in the a$$ to cure.)

Ok, fine. Today, I woke up fully expecting to look and find the whole coral covered in brown crap.

But.... it wasn't. It looked the same. I went to work, came home and assumed that I would have to wing the whole thing off the deck into the neighbor's yard. But I didn't. It still looks the same... no brown stuff.

There's a big dead spot where the brown jelly was. And in the middle of that dead spot, there's 2 tiny pieces of green algae (no idea where that came from). Other than that, no brown jelly, just a big bald spot.

Maybe I actually got rid of it? (I'm suprised, especially since everyone warned me how quick it can spread, and then I saw it firsthand.)

Here's today's pic:

dec17009.jpg

It's hard to tell, but the little spots on the edge and in the middle of the bare area are green, not brown. And it's not extended at all really, I'm hoping that will change.

That's the scoop, for today anyway...:Cheers:

wow, you may be able to pull it through.... i really hope you do. it would be a shame if it all was destroyed. congrats and keep us updated!

I hate to be the realist of the group, but, it will likely die. They are sensitive to disease and stress just puts them out. Sorry. I do hope for the best. I will cross my fingers, light a Manora, pray a rosery, toss up a few hail marys and even light a match (I just farted). Let us know if it starts extending its polyps, that is when you know you are in business

-Doc

oh no, contrar mon frar...I tend to call people over to enjoy the beastly aroma. I have a gift and I want to share. Nothing quite like people gagging when they hit the "wall" of an unsuspecting, nasty, greasey fart.

-Doc

Back