Fluval 205

jahdisp25

Reefing newb
I got a Fluval 205 filter with an aqurium setup I purchased, right now I am using a Whisper 3 on my 29g setup. Would the Fluval provide greater filtration or about the same?

On one side of the fluval there are sponges, do they need to be cleaned when I change the ceramic ring filter media? And about how often wouldthe media need to be changed in the fluval about every 2 weeks like the Whisper?

I don't know too much about these Fluvals, and it seemed kinda involved, but now that I took a closer look it seems like it could be straight forward?

They are similar to your Whisper. I think the Fluval would be better, but if you don't keep it very clean, it can lead to high nitrates (any canister or HOB filter can, that's why protein skimmers are better).

You should clean the sponges and the filter media once a week or so.

Thanks.....doing the it seems like it may be more economical running the fluval since from what I did read media shoudl be changed every 3 months or so?? Not sure if thats correct or not? WIth the whisper I need to change my media every 2 weeks.

Also read that you can use rubble rock inside in place of the ceramic rings? Not sure on that either?

It seems that the fluval may offer better flow to my tank as well as opposed to the whisper? Plus it takes up less room on the back of my tank.

Back