Food

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
So I was at my LFS and I was talking to the guy about when I get fish, what food I will have to get. And everywhere I read feeding was some complicated process where u have to feet meat flakes then like herbivore flakes and vitamin enriched whatnot.

And he basically pulls out a small bottle of flakes and said that was all I would need. I was like..WHA?

So is that really all I am gonna need or am I going to need meat, herbevore flakes and stuff. I know this is the last thing I should be worried about but, well my tank is cycling fer 6 weeks might as well get some research done right :)?

I guess it depends onwhat fish you get. Mysis is the general good food for most. Maybe some dried seaweed, although my fish won't eat that. I use marine pellet once in a while, every couple of days. That has all they need in it too, and I soak it in garlic and some vitamin c once a week to keep their colors up, clears ich too! Now I have a pack of frozen Spirulina, brine and mysis, they really seem to like that as well.

You should avoid flakes -- flake and pellet food contain preservatives that will break down in your tank and lead to algae problems. Plus it will cause water quality issues. It's also very easy to overfeed using flakes and pellets.

What you should use are frozen foods. Buy 2 or 3 different varieties, and rotate which one you use when you feed your tank. Some good choices are Emerald Entree, mysis shrimp, Marine Cuisine and fortified brine shrimp.

If you only want to buy one food and only want to use one food, Rod's Food is an excellent brand that will make everyone in your tank happy.

Keep in mind that if you have any tangs (which I hope you won't with your tank size!) you always have to supplement their food with vegetable matter such as dried seaweed sheets.

But feeding doesn't have to be complicated at all.

IMO A variety is a good thing. I feed flake, frozen Mysis, frozen vitamin fortified brine. dried seaweed and spirulina.

+1 Mel

Variety is the best thing. If you use flakes get a little strainer and soak them in RO water before adding to the tank. I often use flakes but I always soak them and I don't have any algae issues

Funny thing about LFS's is the owner/worker always seems to have something on the shelf or something that is due in next week that will fix any problem in your tank... hmmm. :dunno: While some lfs's are great it's always good to check with some people that are not trying to make a sale [LFSRantOff] :D

I guess it depends onwhat fish you get. Mysis is the general good food for most. Maybe some dried seaweed, although my fish won't eat that. I use marine pellet once in a while, every couple of days. That has all they need in it too, and I soak it in garlic and some vitamin c once a week to keep their colors up, clears ich too! Now I have a pack of frozen Spirulina, brine and mysis, they really seem to like that as well.

I'm interest in how you soak your tablets and what you soak them in exactly. I think I would like to give it a try. Thanks.

Most people use garlic extract (it boosts their immune system and stimulates feeding) and a vitamin supplement such as Selcon. You can get garlic extract at pet stores, fish stores, some grocery stores, health food/vitamin stores, or you can make your own. It's simply the oil from the garlic when it's been pressed, usually watered down a bit. In addition to those two things, some people also soak their foods in Vitamin C.

I feed all frozen cubes. I rotate between mysis, Marine Cuisine, blood worms, Emerald entree. I only have 1 damsel and 1 clown fish. They are both going to need meaty foods as well as veggies.

I wouldn't put flake food in a betta bowl. :grumble: Those things might as well be cardboard full of nitrates.

If your LFS is selling you flake food - look elsewhere for local advice. That person either doesn't know squat about reef fish - or they don't care and only want to make a sale to get your money - or possibly both. We'll help you. You're doing good asking questions here before you spend your money. :D

Any of the frozen foods that we mentioned would be good for a clown. But you should get mysis shrimp instead of brine shrimp -- it's healthier.

Buy small quantities of different things and see what works. A lot of fish defined as vegetarians vs. carnivores, are actually omnivores and will take both. Brine shrimp isn't very nutritious compared to mysis, but I feed it sometimes as part of a varied diet.

My foxface loves flakes, while my pajama cardinalfish will only eat brine. So you gotta see what works!

Back