Found some things

steelcity

Reefing newb
I don't have a picture of my first question. Spotted this guy the other day and see him more and more but cant get a pic of him. He looks like a very small crab and for his claws he has little fans. He throws them out there to catch food and then folds them in to eat. He's about the size of a thumbtack head. Its pretty cool watching him throw his fans out there and snap them in quickly.

The next ID is on two corals I guess. There are white, thin layered, encrusting corals. They were on the rock when I picked them up. They are alive. They have red polyps that come out of the spores. At first I thought it was cyano so I went to try to clean them but they retracted. I did it again to make sure and sure enough its know cyano.

coral2.jpg

coral1.jpg

The crab is a porcelain crab.They are a cool addition to any reef tank and are perfectly safe.
Need a closer shot of the corals to ID them
On the limpets,90% of em are safe and feed on algae.But there are a couple of types that will feed on stony corals.

Their claws are more for show.Porcelains are kinda slow for crabs.So when threatened,they'll back away and drop one or both claws,which will keep moving to distract the threat.

I 100% agree with yote. The corals look like montipora although there are a myriad of different corals so that is my best guess. Here are some pics of other monties.
Ryan

Attachments

• Montipora 1.jpg
    Montipora 1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 290
you got lucky if you picked up some porcelain crabs with your rock! those are amazing crabs, really really fun to watch

I had a porcelain that I got as a hitch hiker in an acro colony.
Accidently mashed him while moving some rock around one night:grumble:

Back