frag frustration!!!!!!!!

beano

habitual reefer
OK so its been along time coming....FOWLR for a whole year....finally go buy some frags. some are attached to rocks and some on on plugs...big giant plugs. the LFS guy was attaching some frags to plugs when i got there so i ask what he is using and what should I use when i get home. he gives me ic-gel ethyl cyanoacrylate gel. he says make a little pile of glue then stick it against the rock and hold for 30 seconds. sounds easy. i try, i try making a bigger pile of glue, i try sticking to a new spot, i try holding it longer, and longer. i can not get a single plug or rock to stick to anything else. should i be doing this out of the tank? apply glue to dry plugs? i have no idea what i am supposed to do (well i have an idea but its not working) and i dont know what i am doing wrong. needless to say i am frustrated and my girlfriend is now having doubts about my competence. i dont have a specific question but can someone help me? now all my exciting corals are just sitting in the sand waiting to be given a new home...and some are just sitting atop the liverock waiting to be knocked over...

Try super glue. I've heard a lot of people use it and apparently it works wonders! Just use the gel stuff. Someone with more expierience should chime in shortly

super glue gel, dry the two surfaces pretty well... the saltwater causes the gel to form a skin pretty much instantly....

the guy at the store said i could do it underwater. the big problem is that the rocks i want to atttach most of these guys to are at the bottom of the tank and there is almost no way i can dry them off. should i use epoxy?

Super glue gel can be used underwater. You need to use a lot of it though. For some frags, I've used half a tube. It's definitely a skill that takes practice, so don't get discouraged, you'll get it!

will the glue grow coraline on it?

also, these plugs they used are huge! the polyps will grow around them I'm sure but I have a feeling it will still look funny. anybody do anything about that or should I just get creative with where I stick the plug?

I was thinking of gluing it sideways so it doesn't stick out so far from the rock.

eventually the coralline and the coral will grow covering the plug. I will usually try to put the plug in a hole in the rock to help hide it.

hanks I will try again when I get home from work and let you know how it goes. so frustrating I can't even glue two things together!!!!:helm2:

I have given up on the gel and now waiting for my two part epoxy putty to show up. Hopefuly it will stand up against my snails a little better than the get.

I hate those plugs, and prefer to use live rock or rubble. Most of the time I will remove reattach the frag myself. Super glue will work under water but it takes practice like Biff said. If I can't attach it out of the water I use epoxy in the water. It takes a bit longer to set up but I have found it to be easier. Super glue always ends up all over my fingers!

make shure that epoxy is safe it must say safe for potable water. as for the gel put a big huge glob on the plug than put it were you want it and hold it there for a couple minuets and it will stay put

woo hoo!

tried a big glob of lfs glue and it didnt work so i picked up some super glue gel. instant success. i dont know what the difference is or if it was just a placebo thing but my frags are now stuck to rocks in my tank. i found it much easier to glue to the plug to a small piece of rubble and then glue the rubble to a larger rock. also the frogspawn withe the extra large plug, i broke it off the plug.

thank you everyone for your advice and support, now i have to go buy some more frags....

if i didnt have an embarrassing amount of hair algea right in the frame i would post a pic :D

Back