Fragging/killing off soft corals?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I have a green tree coral and some button polyps that are well overgrown.

The green tree is fleshy and soft, unlike the leather feel of a kenya tree coral. Can i just cut them midway at the base and let them start fresh or will it kill it? It's gotten to be way too tall. It's taking up precious real estate. It's a beautiful coral, but it's just way too large.

The button polyps are spreading throughout the tank. Aside from cutting them out of the tank what else can I do? I'd prefer to inject them with something rather than cutting them out. It's hard to to work in a tall tank.

Is there anyway to keep soft corals smaller? They're perfect but then they overgrow. When you trim them back they look terrible for awhile and the proportions don't stay the same.

move them closer to the light in my experiance. Ive had larger growing zoa's but they were always futher away from the light....ive taken them same zoa's and put them higher up...the polyps shrunk and the skrits grew.....without burning the poylp of corse...i really dont know tho..if you dont like it, sell it, and replace...

+1 Dana, As far as killing them...I've pulled kenyas clean off of a rock to the point where all you saw was a slimy blemish & guess what...in a matter of months that same slime turned into a full grown tree

Growing is a good thing, it means the corals are doing well. The best thing to do is trim back the growth and trade it to friends for different corals.

Back