Fragging Zoas/Polyps

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I have a rock full of button polyps, another rock covered in zoas, and my dad has a tiny frag of star polyps thare are growing everywhere.

We kinda want to exchange some of this stuff. I'd like to get some of the zoas off so I can place them in other parts of the tank to let them start growing.

Chipping the rock isn't an option as all of the corals in question were glued to pieces of LR.

If you're not in a hurry you can place the plug directly next to the zoas and they will in time grow onto the plug. However....

If you want to frag them now then use an exacto knife and cut them at the base of the coral. Try to cut off part of the rock they are attached to along with the zoas. Then use gel super glue and attached them to the plug. Give them a day or two to recover and then they'll be ready to trade.

+1 David
You'll be surprised at just how easy it is to scrape a small bit of rock off with the polyps.

do you find that after you frag your zoas they grow faster ?

Probably not, I would put small rubble rocks or shells next to the polyps and let them attach to that, then glue the peice where you want it. You risk losing small frags in your tank if you try placing them around.

Good luck!

everytime I frag my zoas, where i cut with the razor blade new one form I feel like If i cut them they will grow more heads, imo

I like stuff growing on the side and back glass, so I just put a rock next to the glass and let them grow over there. It takes a few months for them to completely jump off the rock and attach to the glass. Then just slice the connecting foot and remove the rock. Now you got zoas on the glass. It's easy to slide a razor blade under their foot. You can remove 1 or 2 feet and then slice the connecting tissue to the rest of the mat. It's the least harmful way I've found to frag zoas and other polyps that will attach to glass. It's REALLY easy if they are attached to coraline algae on glass.

You can do this without causing any damage to the foot of the zoa. Then it takes less glue to attach them to a frag plug because they aren't all hacked up. You just need a pin head dot of glue to attach a healthy foot to a plug. With less glue, they will spread out over the glue and attach naturally to the rest of the plug on their own much quicker than trying to grow up and out of a pile of glue and THEN attach to the plug naturally.

Back