Fragin zoa's.....

Nope Brian if u look at the times. I fragged then they got sick...idk...no point in beating a dead horse tho...my hands are tied here...just gunna have to wait and see i guess. Like i said, thanks for all the help and support. I do appriciate it.

It is to humans...idk bout fish and inverts and corals tho that's why I fricking asked. I'm POSITIVE the toxins is what messed with my fish. Positive....I won't frag shyt in y tank ever again period. Lesson learned.

It is to humans...idk bout fish and inverts and corals tho that's why I fricking asked. I'm POSITIVE the toxins is what messed with my fish. Positive....I won't frag shyt in y tank ever again period. Lesson learned.

Maybe, but I'm not positive. Not all zoas are toxic, in fact very few contain concentrations of toxins high enough to harm humans. If they were super toxic, reefers would be dropping like flies. High levels of palytoxin is found primarily in palythoas, not zoanthids. That's where it got its name from. Many people have fragged corals in their tanks with no ill effects.

That is the best guess as to what went wrong for now, so maybe that was it.

Here are some references on palytoxin levels in zoas and palys.

Palytoxin
Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Zoanthids by Eric Borneman Aquarium.Net January 1998

I cut/rip zoas and palys (never with open wounds) all the time in my tank with no ill effects to any of my livestock. The stubs that are left usually sprout new polyps in about a week.

Back