Fresh seafood?

Awol

Reefing newb
So I was talking to my BIL about salt water tanks and he asked me if I could keep fresh seafood in there. Like a live lobster, some oysters, etc.

I told him I had no idea, but I don't imagine it would be good for my tank's biology to drop in 4 dozen oysters...

So my question is if I had a separate tank in the basement that I dumped my water change water into and ran a power head or a cheap aerator, can I store live seafood for a day or two? I wouldn't be keeping it for 2 weeks, maybe 2 days with the intent to cook it and eat it. Then dump out all the water and rinse the tank out really well and do it again in a couple months.

Has anyone tried anything like that?

I picture those restaurants with 4 dozen live lobster in a 200g tank and it makes me cringe just imagining the bio load.

my friend dropped in 2 live crabs and they lived in his empty 72g bowfront for like 4 days. i dont know if i would eat them though. he ended up throwing them away, i think they died.

some of the chemicals that we add to our tank like iodine or trace elements say on the bottle do not use in animals for human consumption.

I would not do it. You would need to keep your parameters identical to what the ocean the critters come from to keep them alive and healthy. Temp is the biggest factor and it just wouldn't be worth it to get a chiller for snow crabs to hang out in your tank for a few days.

-Doc

Back