freshwater to marine

montego

Reefing newb
Hi,
I am new to saltwater but have had my 29 gallon fresh water tank for about 5 years with African cichlids. When i started off i bought a marineland eclipse system in a 29 gallon. ( Glass Aquarium Kit Complete with Eclipse Filtration and Lighting)
after about 6 months once i new more about the hobby i realized the filtration system wasn't that great. So i bought a Fluval 405.

Now i am looking to move from fresh water to a fish and live rock tank. My tank is a 29 gallon tall tank. besides fish and live rock. what else would u recommend? and how much live rock and dry rock should i use?

equipment i have
29 gallon tall tank
eclipse filtration system
fuval 405
T12 with one actinc and a daylight
1 powerhead

Thanks in advance

Danny

Shoot for 25 to 30lbs of rock.You can go 50/50 or just use 5 or 10 pounds of live rock and the rest dry.Depends on your budget.
If your going FOWLR then you'll be able to get by without a skimmer as long as you keep up with the water changes.
You'll probably want at least 2 powerheads in there too.Water flow is a must in a saltwater tank.

thanks and what kind of fish would u do with a 29 gallon, looking for color full but dont want to over stock the tank... as this can cause tragedy's. i went through this when my cichlids started to breed....

In saltwater you are limited to 1 fish per 10 gallons. So you will be maxed out at 3 fish in a 29 gallon tank. Clownfish are probably the most popular choice for smaller tanks. Gobies are good choices too, as are firefish and cardinalfish.

thanks for all your help. I am gonna pay my local shop a visit tommorrow. what should i spend ($$) on live rock w/o getting ripped off?

It depends on the store, too. I have two LFSs in my city. They charge $12 to $14 per pound. You can get it online for much cheaper, even if you take into account shipping.

Back