Friggen lfs!!!!!!!!!!

mm2meyer

Reefing newb
So I went to one of the larger LFS out my way and picked up 5 green chromis. Now I haven't heard anything bad about this lfs and all their fish and coral appeared healthy. Yesterday I noticed one of chromis was dead. Fished it out no big deal. I get home earlier this morning after guys night out and my wife is lookin at the tank and seen our mandarin out. I looked at the fish and it's tail was wrapped making a U and the fish was lethargic. I scooped him out of the tank and put him in a QT just so I could get a better look at him. He died while I was looking at him for any signs of illness. Then my wife found a second chromis dead in my rock. I had to break a piece of it to dislodge the fish.

My wife then decided THIS was time to tell me that she seen a green chromis at the fish store with a very large open red sore on one of its side. any suggestions on what the disease is/was. What do I need to be looking for and what treatments if any??

I really did get attached to my mandarine and he was just fine earlier in the afternoon. I have also grown quite fond of my red coris wrasse and my sailfin tang. I'd be more into my foxface rabbitfish if he wasn't such a scaredy cat.

Am I lookin at a tank crash?
Will the corals I have in there be ok?
Will my cleaner shrimp be ok?
And how long will I have to leave the tank fallow??

OH and for whats going to come from some of you. I really don't have the space for a QT tank. Plus I really don't agree with them. Well, right now anyway :frustrat: :grumble: :frustrat: :grumble:

That sux MM.Hate to hear that.
The problem could be any number of things,and I have no idea how you could narrow it down.
Either way,there is no way to treat for anything in your reef tank.Meds and reefs dont mix.So just keep a close eye on your other fish.
I'd also be calling that store or making the trip back over there.

I notice you posted in another thread that your tank is very new. It could have been that you added five fish at once.

In a new tank, you should add one or two fish, wait 3 weeks, add one or two fish more, wait 3 weeks, etc. Adding five fish at once can crash a tank.

But like Yote said, it really could have been anything, or a combination of things. It's hard to say for sure.

For future problems I'd consider adding a UV light. Like yote said can't do much but watch 'em in a reef tank. Can't treat them and reef safe meds are no good. Good luck.

i think a lot of it is because the tank is so new. but there could be an underlying problem. a sick fish would not make your other fish die the next day it would take a bit for the sickness to spread

Get in touch with the LFS let them know that you lost the fish and talk to them about the red sore on the side of the chromis that your wife seen. They may be able to shed some light on what it might be.

You mentioned that you have a quarantine tank.... If you have one set up you should use it therefore you would have been able to treat the new fish and not potentially added a disease to your main display.

Mandarins usually won't catch anything so he should be fine as well as your shrimp and corals, There may be some concern for your tang, foxface, and wrasse. keep a close eye on them, check your water parameters as well to make sure everything is in check.

As biff mentioned you need to add to your tank very slowly to help prevent a tank crash.

I notice you posted in another thread that your tank is very new. It could have been that you added five fish at once.

In a new tank, you should add one or two fish, wait 3 weeks, add one or two fish more, wait 3 weeks, etc. Adding five fish at once can crash a tank.

This would have been my guess also. Added too much at one time in a new tank. Water test will confirm this. What are your water test results?

Back