Frogspawn retracted

Jojo1628

Reefing newb
Hi, I had my frogspawn for a good two months already, but recently it's been retracting, I even moved to another higher location, it extended for a while, but has retracted again...I tested my water para and everything is in line, all other shrimp, snails, and clowns are in great shape...temp is consistently at 78, PH is at 8.2...when I look closely, I noticed that there are PODS crawling all around the frogspawn, and I see that the tenticles actually retreats as some pods are crawling on it...what's going on here and how can I help my poor frogspawn now??? the clowns are not hosting the frogspawn btw...

what are your parameters, i know you say they are inline but what are the actual numbers, also how much flow is the frogspawn getting and what lights are you running

I'm using super nova extreme T5 155 watts on 30 gallons, it's placed a little higher than middle of the tank, nitrate, nitrite and amonia all tested at 0, ph is 8.2, salinty is 1.24, there are no direct current pointing towards it, but maybe moderate smooth deflected currents, I don't think that's an issue, nothing too strong going towards it...I'm concerned about those pods tho, I see them crawling on the tenticles, and I can see that every time it crawls on one of them, it retracted...

If it is a pod, it would not be harming the coral. It could be another sort of parasite though, that is irritating it. I suggest doing an iodine dip on the coral. Your LFS should sell iodine or a coral dip solution. This will kill off any diseases and parasites that may be harming it.

Thanks Biff, that may sound like a plan...I have the Kent coral dip solution which I will attempt then...I also have plain iodine as well...let me try the kent coral dip and see if it helps it...I'll report back the results...hopes all goes well

The bugs are actually clear/white and tiny...I just dipped it in kent tech D coral dip, I can see those tiny bugs/pods kinda scrambling around away when I dip the frogspawn in and within an hour after placing it back to DT, it's opening up again!!! I'm very excited about this recovery...I'm pretty sure it's those tiny bugs that were irritating it...I hope it stays healthy...I never fed it tho, it's always lighting along...

You may have to dip it more than once. I'm glad it's starting to look better. I hope it makes a full recovery for you!

Do you have a pod-eating fish in your tank? If you think your pods are taking over your corals you may want to get a small fish that likes that type of live food.

You may have to dip it more than once. I'm glad it's starting to look better. I hope it makes a full recovery for you!

Do you have a pod-eating fish in your tank? If you think your pods are taking over your corals you may want to get a small fish that likes that type of live food.

I was just thinking about dipping it again, since I still see some pods crawling on it...you read minds Biff!! :Cheers: I'm thinking about a mandarin, my clowns don't seem to eat pods on the rocks, only on glass walls...

I think the mandarin wouldn't do well in a 30 gallon tank. They need larger tanks than that. In small tanks, they tend to starve to death. The exception is if you buy a mandarin that eats frozen food. It would do well in your tank, but make sure you ask the LFS to feed it in front of you, so you know firsthand that it takes frozen.

Lots of blennies and wrasses eat pods, you should see if any of those fish catch your eye.

Just another update, dipped the frogspawn another time last night, and this time it seems to enjoyed a little more as it's extended even more now...so def helping, maybe I can do this every week lol...do blennies eat pods off rocks?? I've only seen mandarin do that...

Back