Frogspawn tentacles?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I was reading that frogspawn are supposed to send out some kind of tentacles at night after the lights go out but I have had it two weeks now and I still have not seen it send them out. I have blue led's on my light. Does it need total darkness before it will do that or is mine just not wanting to? He spreads out fine during the day but I have never seen the tentacles it's supposed to have.

I've never seen sweeper tentacles at night but I see them every now and then during the day with the lights on, same with my torch. I don't think you'll really see them until the coral feels threatened. My torch will send out sweepers and they'll touch my Toadstool coral but not sting it. However, it has stung some paly's so I had to move it. The sweepers from Frogspawn, torches, etc. look like normal tentacles but are much longer and more "thready" from what I've noticed.

I think it depends on the individuals. I have some corals where I have never seen them, and other corals that have them out 24/7. If yours does not extend stinging tentacles, that isn't a bad thing. Your coral is perfectly healthy -- just different.

Hey Biff, thought I'd pop in and say +1. :)

My frogspawn was very aggressive when I switched tanks, extending itself over 8 inches and popping off polyps at least once a week. Now, for reasons unbeknownst to me, it is more docile.

Back