Front Glass Cleaning Routine

Me too, I just started using a razor blade. It takes maybe 5 minutes. My tank has never looked so good. The algae comes off in long sheets that then stick to rocks and look like green noodles. I am afraid of scratching the glass though.

Last edited:
I do daily passes with a Mag Float and weekly passes with a Pro Scraper.

A good stiff brush will keep the Mag Float free of any build up coralline or gunk that would cause scratches in the glass

Up until now, I was using a MagFloat with an Easy Blade razor attachment. But the felt padding inside the MagFloat eventually wore off, and I was afraid of it scratching the glass. So instead I tied a dish towel around the MagFloat as a buffer between the magnet and the glass, and it looks totally ghetto. Maybe I should just buy a new magnet. :grumble:

Up until now, I was using a MagFloat with an Easy Blade razor attachment. But the felt padding inside the MagFloat eventually wore off, and I was afraid of it scratching the glass. So instead I tied a dish towel around the MagFloat as a buffer between the magnet and the glass, and it looks totally ghetto. Maybe I should just buy a new magnet. :grumble:

Or just buy some felt from your local craft store.

As to the original question, Algae Free mag float for me every other day, on all 4 sides of my tank.

Chris,I've used the same Magnavore for the past 3 years.It still holds just as strong as it did right out of the box.

that's a serious algae scrapper Yote! That magnet is so strong that you can probably stick that on the bumper of your truck and tow it out of the woods. I use a mag float 3x per week roughly. Works great on the main glass, but not near the silicone and sand.

my mag float sucks it bairly holds on to the glass for my 75

Mine too, but then I'm using the original one I had in my 55. I looked at Yote's! Good Lord 60.00 - 300.00 for a glass scrapper? Better have a person that comes with it to work it at that price.:mrgreen:

I also use a mag float for superficial stuff but my glass gets taken over by coraline pretty quick, back glass is basically purple... and i use one of those razors used to clean flat top stoves, dont know the name, but it works great.

Back