Galaxea Coral - any tips?

montoya

Reefing newb
For about two months now I've had a Galaxea coral in my tank. My tank is fairly new - less than 3 months old.

The coral so far appears not only to be doing ok but to be thriving. I have it high near my light (265 watts PC). I feed it Mysis once every 1 1/2 weeks or so. The flow is probably moderate to strong. It is very full with great color and eagerly extends its feeding tentacles.

I've read on the net that this coral is everything from easy to "difficult to keep in an aquarium". Most write-ups unfortunately lean toward the diffcult......Does anyone know the real story? Is this a reasonably easy coral to keep or will my short term success be short lived? My tank even went through a mini cycle recently that closed my mushrooms and polyps but the Galaxea stayed as full and open as ever. (The 'shrooms and polyps have since rebounded 100% as well).

I have a galaxea, and it's a pretty big piece (about 8 inches by 8 inches in size). I believe that they are relatively easy to keep. I keep mine in an area of high lighting (it gets the same amount of light as my SPS corals do), and I have never fed mine. It will extend it's tentacles at night, and I've never had to do anything special to care for it.

I don't know why some consider it a difficult coral, as it has been one of the easiest ones in my tank. I've had mine since October, so it hasn't been too long, but so far so good.

Back