George's 30 Gallon Breeder Project

Your tank is coming along great. :Cheers:

As for rock you can always get dry rock and in a short time of being in the tank it will become live rock. It is alot cheaper that way. I started of my 180g with about 85% dry rock and just a little live and now you couldn't tell the difference if you try. Marcorocks.com has great rock.

For you stocking list you probably want to leave off the Sand Sifting Star, there won't be enough food in your tanks sand to keep it alive for very long.

So just leave the algae alone its growing like wide fire on the rock and it looks like that start of hair algae becuase all the rocks are fuzzy looking and have little strands of hair on it.

yea dude, diatom blooms are common in a new tank. i have had hair algae, brown spots of algae and red slime all due to new tank syndrome they all come and go. first 6 months are the hardest.

yea dude, diatom blooms are common in a new tank. i have had hair algae, brown spots of algae and red slime all due to new tank syndrome they all come and go. first 6 months are the hardest.

It makes sense. the tank has been up for 3 weeks now. I'm just worried about the PH and SG. How am I gonna add inverts with my water params messed up?

Do you test your ph at the same time everyday?

I wouldnt use my lfs' premixed saltwater, id rather mix my own, and get the salinity where i want it. I have a meh lfs though, your is most likely better.

+ 1 on mixing your own water. That way you can get your SG exactly where you want it. Plus, you know what mix you're using, so you know if it contains trace minerals needed by your corals and inverts. It's so much easier to use a mix that has them included than testing and dosing for the trace elements individually.

Do you test your ph at the same time everyday?

I wouldnt use my lfs' premixed saltwater, id rather mix my own, and get the salinity where i want it. I have a meh lfs though, your is most likely better.

I told them I want it at 1.023 to 1.024.

Last edited:
do you test it? If it is dropping perhaps they arent mixing it well enough? or long enough. My lfs uses a hydrometer, because they are noobs.

do you test it? If it is dropping perhaps they arent mixing it well enough? or long enough. My lfs uses a hydrometer, because they are noobs.

I do test it but not everyday. I tested it today these are my readings.

SG = 1.024
PH = 8.8
AMMO = 0
NITRITES = 0
NITRATES = 0

All the tests were done at 6:30PM after 12 hours of lights being on.

+ 1 on mixing your own water. That way you can get your SG exactly where you want it. Plus, you know what mix you're using, so you know if it contains trace minerals needed by your corals and inverts. It's so much easier to use a mix that has them included than testing and dosing for the trace elements individually.

Since it was the first time and I didn't want to mix 30 gallons of water I had the lfs do it. but I have a pale instant ocean salt mix and I will be mixing 10 gallons each time I do a water change.

Update a few first additions. Nothing crazy yet. Here are my 3 turbo snails and a Yellowtail blue damsel.

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

Back