Getting Started...

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
Hi i'm new to LR and currently breaking down my 20g freshwater set-up to start into saltwater. I've been doing freshwater for quite some time and always wanted to make the transition so i'm finally gonna try. My current equiptment includes:

20g tall
AquaClear power filter rated for 30g
100w submersable heater
18" NO flourescent light

and I also plan to include:
Taan Rio Nano Skimmer rated for 20g
Hydor Koralia 1 Powerhead

I want to start with a FOWLR tank with this equiptment and i'll be using some live sand and rock and including 2 or 3 small fish (Most likey two clowns and a yellow tail damsel or something of that nature). Later when I have the money to upgrade to a PC lighting system or something like that I want to start including some corals and inverts.

Basically after this long post I'm just looking for some input on my equiptment as to what else I should maybe include and any tips for starting out with saltwater. All input good and bad is greatly appreciated.

Hi! I'm a newbie myself and can't really comment on your equipment, but I noticed the SigEp in your moniker. would that be Sigma Phi Epsilon? I'm a Kappa Delta. Welcome the the BEST reef forum on the web! The folks here are incredibly smart and giving in their information. Good luck with your new tank, sounds fun!

Catherine

you'll need some water testing equipment for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate... otherwise you have mostly everything you need.

what you have will work you do not need a cansiter filter but they can help and with a fish only you will be ok but live rock will be the most important filtration you can have along with a good skimmer you want one that is rated for at least 1 1/2 times the tank size. as for inverts you dont need any special light like you need for coral or nems. i recomend having inverts as they are your clean-up-crew snails crabs and so on. they will help keep the sand and rock clean. the other thing is that you need to use ro/di water or distilled water not tap water water from the tap can wreak havoc on the tank since it is loaded with silicates and other bad things that cause alage problems.

Yes I'm a Sigma Phi Epsilon. Are you still in school? where are you a Kappa Delta at? I'm from Southeast Missouri State University

I'm a Kappa Delta but graduated college in the '80's. I have many memories of socials with SigEps. Glad you found this board! There is an incredible range of personalities and knowledge here. Good luck with your tank, oh, and with your finals comming up!

Catherine

ill agree with everyone that has already posted, test kits for salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH. and james is right snails and hermits dont need any special lighting to stay alive so you can get them. and in a tank that small two clowns and a yellow tail damsel is probably not a good idea since clowns are part of the damsel family and are quite territorial and the yellow tail damsel is also obviously part of the damsel family and is going to be territorial so if you use that combo in a small 20 gallon tank your going to have a lot of fish fighting and probably some deaths from that

Seeing the tank is a tall the fish will have less swimming room. I would get some firefish and the clowns if your set on them. Firefish are very peaceful where clowns can be territorial. Having said that.
You'll need sand get the fine stuff it traps less crap. Also 1-2 pounds of rock per gallon. If your on a budget you can get base rock and seed it with LR. It's also important to use RO water. You'll need a refractometer to test the salinity plus the test kits for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates so you'll know when your cycle is over.
Do lots of reading while your tank is cycling.

Thank everyone so much for all of the good advice. I definitely will have testing supplies and take very good care of the water quality with regular water changes and such. As well as using distilled water for now. I definitely didn't know about the damsels and clowns not being good choices together so maybe just a pair of clowns? i definitely only want to put 2 or 3 most likely 2 small fish since it is such a small tank. I will also probably get 1 or 2 base rocks and do the rest with live rock. My LFS has fiji live rock.

Thanks again for all of the help I'm definitely feeling more confident about everything!

Remember when you set the tank up we love pics. Also you can start a tank building thread. Keep us updated.

Back