Glass Cutting

Jschoon

Reefing newb
Need some advice. I am building a sump and had some window glass I was hanging on to that I thought would work. Turns out that 2 pieces of the glass are about 1/8 or less to big to fit. Can I cut that small of a piece off? Should I just spring for new? I need to buy some anyway as I broke a piece taking the glass out of the window frame.

Thanks
Joe

other option I have... I have some plexi laying around also. It is about 1/8 thick ( I think, maybe thicker but not buy much). The sump is a 10 gal glass tank. Can I use aquarium safe silicone to attach the plexi to the glass? I have heard that it will not hold. Thoughts???

Joe

window glass is super cheap if your gonna buy new stuff. if you dont wanna spend the money on new glass. go get terry cloth sand paper and grind it down.
i work for a glass shop..
the only thing about plexi is that silicone doesnt stick well..

Thanks. What I hear you say is that either way I need to spend some cash. I don't have any terry cloth sand paper. I imagine it would costs about the same or more than a new piece of glass. Another trip to Lowe's. Man that sucks:bounce:NOT! Love going to the hardware store. Hate having to drive 20 miles to get there...

10"x8" (x2)
10"x9"
6x4 (x2)
4x4
I think this is what i need. I do not have my drawings and plan in front of me right now...

I would look for a glass shop, I went in and told them what I was doing I don't know if they were just the 1 of a kind really nice people but I got 6 baffles, polished edges and its thick glass, for what it was going to cost for the sheet of paper thin glass at home depot. The shop was able to make it out of scraps they had laying around because the size I needed are so small.

You can use the plexi. True, the silicone won't hold very well, but you can make up for that by using a lot of it!! The baffles don't have to be water tight, either. As long as they generally keep the water in place, they will be fine. I think most people use plexi baffles in glass sumps because it's the cheapest and easiest to find material.

I don't like to cut anything less that 1/4 inch but glass is pretty easy to cut. Don't make your score too deep and be gentle with your pliers.

C

Back