glass v.s acrylic

ive seen a nearby saltwter fish store where there frag rack is supported by acrylic blocks, but saltwater works dug into em and there are a ton of tiny holes in em now. also there a pain to clean and keep looking nice. only thing they got on glass in my book is they are a ton lighter empty.

Why? The article totally disses acrylic!! :lol:

Now we come to the main reason I will always stick with glass, tank maintenance.

In my cleaning tool kit I use algae magnets, a razor sharp blade on a handle, and a non abrasive scouring pad. Nothing wrong with that - not until you tried to use them on an acrylic tank. Its biggest downfall to me is the fact that it scratches so easily and this then gives the tank a dull finish where the damage has been done. There are products on the market for buffing these out, but this does involve emptying your setup and draining the water first. The only item I would recommend you use for cleaning purposes is a cloth and elbow grease.

Great care has to be taken when putting in gravel, rocks, or heavy ornaments as this can too scratch the acrylic if done with too much gusto. I even know of someone who has suffered damage to the tank from plecos due to their rasping teeth grinding at the tank.

Back