Glass Vs. Acrylic

Acrylic panels have much higher threshold before they crack. Under typical home aquarium conditions it would be unlikely to crack acrylic.
And if it does crack, you can use the solvent to reseal the crack.

The sealing process for acrylic tanks also fuse the individual panels into a single piece so the tank will have higher tolerances for stress.
Compare that to glass that use adhesives to hold the panels together.

Acrylic however, is very susceptible to scratching/hazing.
Things that would normally not scratch glass could easily scratch acrylic. So you have to be very careful with what rubs against the acrylic (inside and outside).

As for the acrylic being less likely to crack I just have one comment....I've been in the hobby for a long time and have only heard of two glass tanks "cracking." One was a defectively made HUGE tank (like 500 or 600 gallons) and a 55 that guys were trying to move partially filled. They bumped the corner of a table while carrying it and it suddenly became verrrry light!

I don't see the significance of the cracking issue...I do, however prefer glass because of the scratching issue....

Someone told me that acrylic lets more light pass through so it makes the tank look clearer, is this true or total B.S?

Ive read that common glass transmits around 80% of light, acrylic closer to 90%. There are specialty glasses that get north of 87%, but glass cannot match acrylic. That article was a couple of years old, perhaps theres new technology...

Someone told me that acrylic lets more light pass through so it makes the tank look clearer, is this true or total B.S?

This may be true for really thick panels. For typical home aquariums, I do not think that the extra 10% clarity would be even discernible.

Rectangles are for squares.

I think the advantages of using acryllic offset cost in one scenario: scientific research. When everything needs to be as clean and clear as possible.

But is it going to be noticeable, even in that case, Erin? And on large tanks, doesn't the cost for acryllic start to get closer to glass, anyways?

Back