Glory!

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
I just got my first Coral! Spotted mushroom! (I think... :p)

Yah!

So, I just put them in the tank an hour ago, and I'm keeping the lights off. They're still closed, is that normal? When should I see them open?

mushroom002.jpg

mushroom001.jpg

Those are Green Striped mushrooms. Mostly green and brown with some fluorescent striping. Good first choice.

Is your tank cycled good? How long did you cycle it? Water tests?

they don't really close... they just kind of shrink. You'll notice that once they settle in they'll be much larger, they look retracted right now.

congrats btw!

They look normal for having just been added to the tank. They could take several days to open up fully, so just keep an eye on them! Congrats -- great choice for a first coral.

Those look just fine! I am sure that once the lights come on for a couple of hours tomorrow they'll open up nicely. Great choice.

Your second was up 2-1/2 hours ago:mrgreen:

Batteries died in the camera, v'been trying to find the charger :(

A question: Should I lower my light cycle fora few days? He came from the LFS in a tank that looked like it had PC's on them. And what's a good light cycle to keep?

Uh oh!

I just looked at my main head, an it's all scrunched up and it looks like it's pooping from it's 'mouth' (Well, what I THINK it is...)

I wouldnt mess with the photoperiod.
Though it might not hurt to slide the shrooms kinda in some shade for a day or 2.

Have you dosed anything today? Sometimes a quick change in parameters can cause them to do that.But,it could be taking a :pooh: too.

I wouldnt mess with the photoperiod.
Though it might not hurt to slide the shrooms kinda in some shade for a day or 2.

Have you dosed anything today? Sometimes a quick change in parameters can cause them to do that.But,it could be taking a :pooh: too.

Didn't add anything. Only topped off with some RO water.

Side note: Chaeto is amazing. My nitrates are close to 0, now.

Shrooms will do that as defense when they are stressed. Just keep your levels good and dont mess with them. You could put some shade on them like Yote suggested.

You don't have to feed them. They will get what they need from the nutrients in the water. You could target feed with Marine Snow or something a like if you want to.

Quit worrying about them. Mushrooms are very tough. They'll be okay!

Not that mushrooms arent great, but you'll soon be wondering how you're going to keep them from taking over. They grow very quickly and they are very hardy with no care other than water quality and lighting. All you have to do is enjoy them. FYI, Zoas, and most other softies are the same. They would be good choices as your next purchase.

Back