God damnit

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
Well I've been in the hobby for a good 2 months now so I don't know if I'm still should be posting here....but anyways...

I picked up some 3 sweet zoa frags today for 20 bucks and there was 6 pieces total. I decided to try and get fancy and glue the loose ones all against a standing piece of rubble rock. Well after I carefully placed the array of colors and put putty on it and mounted it I noticed something...something terrible. I SUPERGLUED ALL OF THE ZOAS SHUT :frustrat: My question to you guys is there any hope that the zoas will somehow come out of the superglue coating or did I just kill all my brand new frags already? :pooh:

On a side note...I have a pencil urchin that keeps getting stuck inbetween my rockwork. Do these things really get stuck because after my last rescue I had to actually move a rock to get him out. Thanks for the help and answers in advance.

Ummm supergluing things shut is a pretty effective way to kill them, so good job if those were pesky vermetid snails or somehthing... But they weren't :(

How did you do that anyways?

The best you can do, I think is peel off as much of the superglue as you can by hand. Then just wait and see. Chances are good that you didn't kill every single one of them. Even if just one polyp survived, it will spread pretty quickly.

+1 Biff
And as for the urchin, I believe if it gets itself into a tight spot, then it can get itself out! Mine looks stuck all the time, but then it's not. If it stays in one place more than a couple days I might intervene, but probably not. They're pretty tough litter things.

Zoos will probably be okay, They produce a slime which will help protect them. They probably will not open for several days though.

Ill try to peel it off tomorrow. I started going crazy with the superglue and it kept funning out of the top so I was moving quickly and when i went to push the zoa down onto the rock to make it stick. There was glue on my fingers apparently and when i tried to wipe it off I just spread it over all the polyps. GG ZOA ang GG 30 bucks.

Urchins can be a PITA. I had to give mine away because it got too big and pissed off all my corals.
Yes you can still post in the newb forum, heck, depending how you look at it, we're all lifetime newbs to this stuff. There's just TOO MUCH to learn in one lifetime about reef animals.
Your Zoos might be F'd. I dunno. They do have a pretty slick slime they emit to keep out foreign objects, which makes it tough to glue them most of the time Maybe you'll get lucky.

I think you should change your avatar!
:-)

krazy-glue.jpg

How do you know your urchin is stuck? Did he tell you?

Mine travels all over my tank and gets into some pretty tight spaces, but I just leave him be. If he's dumb enough to actually get stuck somewhere that's his problem, but even when i think it looks bad, the next day he is somewhere else.

its common for pencil urchins to wedge themselves into rocks (that way a predator can't get to them) but normally they will just move your rocks on there own to get out.
Keep an eye on that pencil urchin they have been known to eat polyps and mushrooms.

Your zoa's will probably be fine, they will release a slime that breaks the glue down (but do try to free it from their mouths)

Never experienced zoa's getting glued shut, but if you're careful about peeling it off I'd say at least a few will live. Those things are about as tough as it gets.

Back