Good Coral for Sandbed/Bottom of Tank...

bur01014

Reefing newb
Just taking some suggestions for coral that will thrive on the sand or the bottom 1/3 of my tank. (low flow, low light).....have 4X54 watt T5s and moderate flow in middle of tank, with high flow at top 1/3. Currently have duncans, frogspawn, hammers, acan, zoos, finger leather, mushrooms, acropora, montipora, and the weed (xenia). The only coral I have that really thrives on the bottom is the xenia....i thought my zoos would but it seems like grow insanely fast up high next to my SPS.....so looking to fill out the sand bed and bottom...ideas?

Btw- mushrooms do well....if I could just figure out how to attach them to the rocks or sand...ideas? they are always flying around lol

jherbertflowerpot_400.jpg

Ive got this(flower pot coral) its doing great but it needs higher flow and weekly feeding. I use oyster eggs
Polyphyllia-talpina2.jpg

or this its a slipper or tongue coral

Last edited:
I can't think of anything different.Brain corals including open,close and even acans would work.Plate corals like Biff mention as well.

I have a short-tentacled plate coral (funghia) on my sand bed and he's fine. The bright orange ones will command a better price than the green.

Warning, they do not like any phosphates!

from what i know elegance are dirty water corals and enjoy high nutrient systems. so if you skim hard then you need to target feed it often.
correct me if im wrong

+1 Melosu. Brains are the easiest out of all the ones I listed. Elegance are the most difficult. Plate corals are somewhere in the middle.

Brains are probably one of the easiest LPS corals you can get. They are a good choice.

Back