Good deal???

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
I have found a 48" metal halide light fixture for my 135gal (6 ft). I know its made by Odyssea and I know their reputation is up in the air however, the guy only wants 100 bucks for it, brand new in the box. Here are the specs:

2x External Quick Connect 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast
2x Internal Twin Output T5 Electronic Ballast
4x Power Switch on Fixture (2 for T5, 1 for LED, and 1 for Cooling Fan)
1x Power Switch on each HQI Ballast
3x Power Cord (2 for HQI and 1 for T5)
Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
2x Built In Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
Glass Cover for HQI
Acrylic Lens for T5
Highly Polished Reflector

Total of 716 watts.
Twin 250w metal halides, 4- 54W T5 High Output Bulb Actinic Blue and 6 blue LED's

If I suspended this above the tank about 8-10 inches or so, do you think it would light the 135 enough for coral?

I could keep the coral that required high light in the middle and those requiring lower light on the sides.

Whattya think??

I think that's a good deal for that fixture. But the MH bulbs are going to be set back another 1 foot from the end of the fixture, so really it's 2 feet on either end of the tank that won't be getting light. I'm not sure if you will be able to keep even low light corals on the ends of the tanks with such a short light, but it would definitely be sufficient to keep anything you wanted below the light.

You will also want to replace the stock bulbs. I run that exact fixture though for my 75g and the spread is not going to reach the ends of your tank as biffer stated. I believe they make a 6ft version though, should it fit your budget.

Back