Good starting setup for a 55 gal tank

rugerman

Reefing newb
I am want to start a marine tank.What would be a good setup for a fish only with some live rock? I would really want a clown with an aninime .What special euipment if any would i need for this? I have seen the 55 gal tank kits a walmart are these any good?What about filtration,lighting,and other equipment? Thanks for any info anyone can give me

:bounce: WELCOME! :bounce:

Do what I did and read as much possible here at "Helpful Articles" read, read, read. It has help me understand the hobby and that patients is "golden" I have come to terms with myself and control my impulse spending when I don't need that fish today, but wait for the right moment. Look for just being on this forum I already know how to create a DIY fuge out of "all-glass tank" plexi-glass and egg crate..............now I have to do it???? :shock:

Well, good look! :mrgreen:

From what ive read on here, the setup from wally world (what i have) is fine for fish only, but the anenome needs better light setup. You would so want to look into getting a better filter a few months down the road. So far im checking out retrofit kits and looking into making my own canopy as well.

If anemones is what you want you will have to know that some travel around the tank and anything that they touch is stung. they also will eat fish if given the chance. lighting for some must be very intense and the currents have to be to their liking. some attach to rocks, and some dig into the substrait. if the latter is proposed the right substrait needs to be provided at the correct depth. so I would recommend you read all you can on anemones before you decide to go that way as it will to some extent limit the corals and fish you can have in the same system and be safe long term. For the system equipment you will need a stable marine system, good current flow, bright lighting, protien skimmer, and I would recommend a under cabinet sump for your heaters etc. so you have your work cut out. read the helpful articles they will give you a ton of information and help you get to a level to make the right decisions. once your direction is definitely chosen and you have specific questions you need assistance with let us know and we will help as much as we can. good luck on your project.

Back