Gorgonia

Old_Moe

Reefing newb
I am looking to add some corals to my tank. I am looking for some color.

Right now I have in my 75g:

couple frags of Zoanthids
1 small green Mushroom
1 small red mushroom
Frogspawn

I have read about the Gorgonia on this board and there definately seems to be some to avoid... is this one ok?

Buy Purple Sea Fan Online | Vivid Aquariums

its listed as a Purple Sea Fan

I was also thinking about adding a Green Polyp Toadstool and frag of Yellow Polyps

any thing else I should look at for a possible add??? would love to get some nice reds in the tank.

Thank you.

Usually the brightly colored gorgs are not photosynthetic. Therefore you have to feed each polyp and algae loves to grow on these guys if you don't have enough flow. Im not sure if this one is non photo or is.

I have the purple tree, but mine is more brown in my tank. Its a super nice coral, lovely movement and grows very fast and is totally undemanding. I believe the whip is similar but a little slower growing.

I wouldnt call them easy to care for, its very easy to add stuff to the tank but much harder to make sure that they are actually eating it and not slowly starving.

They do better in established tanks, where there are a lot of dissolved particles and microscopic critters in the water column for them to eat. If your tank is new-ish, you will have to supplement with phytoplankton, but in my experience, they are not that difficult to keep.

thanks for feedback... still on the fence with what to add. If I place an order from Liveaquaria I may give it a shot with supplement.

Tank has been up since Oct 2011.. so I would call that newish too. only about 6months.

i have 4 non photosynthetic gorgonians and a carnation coral in my tank, all of which I have had for at least 3 years. I keep my corals well fed and feed 1-2 times per week alternating between Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Phyton, TM Pro-Coral Zooton and baby brine shrimp. I have noticed greater polyp extension and more pods etc. in my tank since I started feeding the Pro Coral foods.

Back