Got a new Foxface

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Yesterday I picked up a small Foxface to add to my tank. The LFS fed it for me and it hammered mysis shrimp. I thought they were algae eaters. Anyone with a Foxface or with Foxface knowledge please advise on what you feed them. I also saw on liveaquaria.com that they are listed as reef safe with caution. Any body have any issues with them in your reef tank?

Mine eats algae sheets like there's not tomorrow, but also eats anything else I put in the tank -- from frozen mysis, emerald entree, spirulina, Formula One pellets....mine even at his poop once :shock:

But their main diet is algae, so just keep 'em stocked up, because they graze through the day.

+1 Everybody. They're natural grazers so he'll pick through the algae in your tank pretty quickly. I feed mysis and algae sheets....Wonton and I were just discussing this the other day. when I first got him, I was only doing algae sheets once or twice a week...After awhile he was starting to look a little rough...When I started adding my Tangs, I started doing algae sheets everyday. My FF is fat now, and his color is much better than it was. I love 'em.

Theres not much a foxface WONT eat.And I have yet to seen one take a bite out of a coral.Seen em graze alage between polyps,but never touched the polyps themselves.

If you buy the Nori from the grocery store, make sure it's plain, and not seasoned :D

Yeah, my foxface was looking not as vibrant all the time when I cut back on algae sheets, but I think it was just due to still adjusting to the tank, cuz he does get bright yellow sometimes. I have lots of algae on the rocks for he and the lawnmower blenny to graze on, so I only give it once a week as a treat. But once the algae's all gone, I'll put algae sheets on everyday.

And remember -- Pics or it didn't happen!

If you buy the Nori from the grocery store, make sure it's plain, and not seasoned :D

Yeah, my foxface was looking not as vibrant all the time when I cut back on algae sheets, but I think it was just due to still adjusting to the tank, cuz he does get bright yellow sometimes. I have lots of algae on the rocks for he and the lawnmower blenny to graze on, so I only give it once a week as a treat. But once the algae's all gone, I'll put algae sheets on everyday.

And remember -- Pics or it didn't happen!

Pics are in my tank thread.... https://www.livingreefs.com/hikers-75g-upgrade-t27765.html

This is the nori I bought to feed the foxface. I can't find any indication that its seasoned nori. It only says roasted. Will this be ok?

011152152974.jpg

Then Mr Foxface will be eating good tomorrow. Does it normally take a little while for them to start eating nori in a new tank environment? Should I use a clip or attach it to a rock and let it sink like natural algae in the wild?

Nori won't sink unless you make it... It will just float away and get stuck behind your rocks. You can either use a clip that suction cups to the glass, or you can take a rubberband and strap it to a piece of rock in your tank.

Yeah it's just trial and error. Mine's clipped, and the foxface (and unfortunately lawnmower blenny, as well) learned the joys of clipped algae sheets. But if it did not work, I was ready to rubber band it to a rock.

I put mine on a rock with a rubber band, my cleaner shrimp is actually first there but my foxface doesnt even follow it. He will sit in the flow though and all the bits the shrimps flings into the current he will catch. I might just have to put the algae up a bit higher.

so just find a spot he likes

I'll do both, just depends on how I'm feeling. I keep a small piece of rubble rock in the tank, when I feel like it, I'll pull it out rubberband the algae to it and drop it back down. I don't think the fish care one way or the other, they just wanna eat.

I have had my Foxface for about 4 months, not once did he go after algae sheets.
My lfs showed me this new "liquid" algae made by Instant Ocean, the Foxface goes nuts over it. It comes in individual packets...try it! Loves brine and mysis as well.

Back